Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Good Deterrent Against Home Burglars
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Good Deterrent Against Home Burglars

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was reading an article written by a guy who interviewed some reformed professional burglars. This is possibly a sure way to protect your stuff. Here's part of what he wrote:

"A pet pig. Not one of those little teacup pigs, but a full grown pig. Specifically a male pig. A boar. Apparently pigs are very loyal and very VERY VERY territorial. They are omnivores and their jaws and teeth can crush bone. They’re really fast when they want to be and really heavy. Getting rammed by a boar is no picnic. They’re very loud. If they kick or “scrape” you, those hooves might as well be serrated knives. If they kick from the rear they can snap your leg like a twig. They’re surprisingly durable- it takes a lot to take one down, especially in close quarters. They’re really, really smart. They’ve been show to create strategies and tactics. When confronted, or when they feel in danger, they’ve been known to make complex escape and attack plans. Pigs are no joke."

Would be a good deterrent in your RV when your away. Hopefully it'll be house broken. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They can be nasty and it takes real effort to kill 'em

My I like a good cd player.. So what's on the cd?

a Sound effect,, The Shhha--sunk-- of a 12ga pump action being primed for action.

after all.. it's a burglar alarm... Should not the burglar be .... Alarmed?

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pigs are really dense. I've seen the aftermath of car and pig collision. The car actually looks like it comes off worse. There's not much give to a big pig. They can be pretty scary to feed when you're a kid.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sign on door HONEY, THE SNAKE IS OUT OF BOX. WATCH IT DOES NOT GO OUT THE DOOR!

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/21 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Sign on door HONEY, THE SNAKE IS OUT OF BOX. WATCH IT DOES NOT GO OUT THE DOOR!

X2

Had a friend who lived in an apartment complex in DC in a bad neighborhood. He was there for 5 or 6 years. In the first two years, his apartment was broken into twice. Guy across the hall got burgled annually. On one of his trips across the complex he stumbled upon a rat snake about 3 feet long, and being a snake nerd, he captured it and took it home. He named it RS, after all, it was a rat snake and he never expected it to come when he called. He pretty much let it have the run of his apartment.

He was also a hippy, and thus had friends and acquaintances and friends of friends crashing on him all the time, so he put signs on both sides of his door to remind folks "Hey, please keep the door shut and don't let RS the snake out."

RS kinda hung out curled around the rod over the window in his shower. And RS's presence did cut down somewhat on who was willing to crash on him.

It also stopped the burglarization of his apartment. Guy across the hall continued to get hit at least once a year, but Jerry never got it again.

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We actually have an around-the-corner neighbor who has a very large pet pig. It's ugly as sin. But it goes outside and I've never seen the pig offer to leave their yard. I'd hate to think what would happen if it wondered into the road. I had a very funny conversation one morning with a new FedEx delivery driver. He wanted to know where the farm was around here, 'cause he'd just seen a loose pig at the house up the street. I had to work quite a bit to convince him that the pig lives there, in the house.

Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a pair of female China White pigs, they would walk my mom down the road to our other farm, to milk cows, every day. Rain, snow or shine, they were very loyal. When we finally butchered them they dressed out at 300+ lbs. each!

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AS teenagers the three of us spent 2 weeks on a pig farm
One of my buddy's Uncles place...he was recovering from broken ribs/leg from being thrown from horse
It was 'piggy' time.....separating the sows from their brood and ringing them thru their noses.

The 'king' was a very large 650#plus
When he decided to go somewhere...he went. Hard to stop and he was a bit mean

The Aunt had keep one of the piglets/raised it and it followed her around like it was stuck to her with glue
Had to be on your best behavior around his Aunt -----that pig would stare at you and 'snarl' with a deep grunt

No thanks! He was no Arnold Ziffel

My GrandMa had a Goose....Malcom
Big hefty goose that was LOUD when strangers came around
And he knew I was afraid of him as a kid. (8 yrs old)
Whenever I would go outside ---GrandMa sent me to the garden----he would come a running, head down and wings splayed and honking
Then he would knock me down as a ran away, stand on my back and peck me in the back of my head.
When GrandMa would here me Screaming she'd yell out the kitchen window "MALCOM" and he would hop off/run

When I was 16 Mom told me somebody had snatched Malcom out of the yard.
I was tickled pink----bet he was tough to eat.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 02:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

During my travels, I think it was somewhere around Conway AR, I met a guy who raised pigs on his property. He kept several in a pen in his front yard. It was feeding time, and I was amazed to see him throwing entire packages of pastries, cellophane, cardboard and all into the pen, while the pigs hastily devoured them, with all the packaging.

He told me he would drive to a local day-old baked product store and they would give him packages of pastries that had become too old to sell. He would then feed these to his pigs. I'm sure they couldn't digest the cellophane. Anyway it was a learning experience. Pigs'll eat just about anything.

Speaking of pigs, I've heard that they're supposed to be smarter than dogs. They didn't seem so smart to me, watching them greedily devour all that junk! The saying, "eat like a pig", now makes more sense to me. [emoticon]

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 04:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr. Ed you just tickled a memory. My Grandfather and Uncle ran the family farm. Grew corn and tobacco (back when allotments were still in place) and raised hogs.
Every Saturday when we were there we rode in the back of the pick up to pick up the stale pastry for the hogs. On the way home we rode on top of the pastry. Evidently we were the ones he was fattening up haha.
Back in those days they herded the hogs once a year up a wooden ramp into a livestock truck and off they went to slaughter. Once I got to be about 10 or 12 they let me help. You don't ever want to get cornered up against barbed wire by a 500 lb hog that has survived a few round ups and wants to survive that one too. I got cut up getting over the fence but I went and got the cattle prod and run her up into the truck.
I don't know what wood those ramps were made out of but you still see them everywhere.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Good Deterrent Against Home Burglars
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.