cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Intermittent Dash Radio ??

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I had trouble with my windshield wipers continuing to run and found that others had the same problem on this forum. So trying it again...

We have a 2007 Winn Voyage. For several years while driving our Magnadyne dash radio will be working fine (...both FM and CD) then randomly the sound stops. All 4 speakers go silent. I want to say it's after we have hit a bump but can't prove this. The bezel is still functioning, the CD still playing, the output level is still dancing but no sound. Sounds crazy but I have found if I hit the side of the dash with my fist some times it will start again.

I finally decided to tear into this and fix it. Presently there is no sound in the MH. I have confirmed that all 4 speakers are good, no shorts, the power is good, the ground is good, the wiring harness is good, no shorts, I have wiggled it all around, besides not sure how the harness could make all 4 speakers stop. The surge suppressor is good. The radio itself works good when on the bench in the house! No affect if engine power versus coach power. No affect if on shore power. I have reset the Magnadyne radio too.

So there's something odd about being in the MH while using the MH harness that allows for an intermittent situation. The wiring harness has 8 speaker wires (4x2), 12v switched, 12v constant, Gnd, Pwr antenna (not used) and aux amp outputs (not used).

Has anyone encountered this?

4/5 update: Yay, I finally found the problem, see details in thread below...
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
5 REPLIES 5

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
SOLVED !! Ah Ha !! Found it !!

The clue was in a post on the Winne Forum:

"I decided to install a new radio and went to Best Buy for the radio and installation. I decided on a Kenwood satellite ready radio with Bluetooth and a ton of other features. The technician installed the radio and guess what? No sound. After checking each speaker wire he found that one of the speakers had shorted out which forced the radio into protection mode. Turns out that the Magnadyne radio was good after all (I have it in storage)."

His was same MH year and model but higher trim level.

I had checked my speaker wires for ohms and shorts, all were good. Based on the above I removed the driver side dash speaker I found the tiny wire that passes thru the paper cone was up against the speaker metal frame. Since the cone moves with sound it caused an intermittent short to ground and the radio went into protection mode. That's why when I would hit the dash it would change. So I bent the wire away from the metal frame.

Issue solved, Life is GOOD !!
TC&Z

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
As cheap as replacements are today, I'd just replace it and be done with it.

Yes!

"our Magnadyne dash radio"

Now that's a fine piece of Audiophile grade equipment LOL.....Just like their $16.00 waterproof speakers.

Bruce_Brown
As cheap as replacements are today, I'd just replace it and be done with it.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is not an issue of the power flickering or going off. In my case the power stays on, the display stays lit, characters are shown, the sound level meter is dancing, yet no sound. This has me stumped...

Any others experience my symptoms? Remedy?
TC&Z

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Many people had the same issue with that radio for years. Both Monaco and Winnebago used that radio for several years in their lineup. Finally, someone discovered the issue, after many were jsst discarded. On the back of the radio, where the power wire goes in, there is/was a bad connection common to almost all of the Magnadynes. It will suddenly lose power or lose partial power and not be able to play a CD.

You need to check the power wire on the radio side of the connector.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab