Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: New again, remind me
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> New again, remind me

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

georgelesley wrote:

Mike W wrote:

Jarlaxle wrote:

Avoid any post-2007 diesel.

This is part of what I was looking for. But why? What are we avoiding here?

Emission controls.

Exactly, and because of all that they are far more reliable and better mileage.

Pablum. The emission diesels are far LESS reliable than the pre-2007 engines. The local Ryder shop had to add a shift-not a mechanic, a full shift-to deal with the emission system problems.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ">
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

timjet

Land O Lakes, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/21 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most new RV's off the assembly line come with little to no quality control. So even the expensive ones with the good reputations are pushing them out the door as fast as they can. That being said, Tiffin and Newmar have a reputation for good customer service and will try and fix what they should have built right, better than most.

Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

grldst

Dallas, GA

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest issues with Cat engines comes from Cummins lovers....I am one! Meaning I love Cummins and currently am running a 3126B Cat.

I am pleasantly surprised at the performance of the Cat, and all in all I would not consider it a game changer in decision making.

Used motorhomes Late 90's-2005 era....Look at Foretravel, Country Coach or Monaco. I prefer and over the years have mostly run Monaco Signature and Executive. Am currently driving a Holiday Rambler Endeavor. Much cheaper build then the Signature and Executive but a lot less complicated and has been basically trouble free.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/21 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timjet wrote:

Most new RV's off the assembly line come with little to no quality control. So even the expensive ones with the good reputations are pushing them out the door as fast as they can. That being said, Tiffin and Newmar have a reputation for good customer service and will try and fix what they should have built right, better than most.

Keep in mind that both Tiffin and Newmar have been sold and it is yet to be seen if the new ownership will maintain the previous good customer service.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Mike W

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/21 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all. Keep em coming. I will definitely be buying used. Paying cash. Still researching gasser vs diesel. The higher operating costs of the D concerns me. Some advice was to consider if you'll spend more time driving it or camping in it...good point. I'll be pulling lighter toads. This jeep and hopefully my workhorse Scion xA. But I don't want to worry or labor every grade on our travels.
Anyway, great info here. Open to more. Thanks again

1987 Executive Diplomat 35
Sad Days
Sold my baby
">

jeromep

Eastern Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/21 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

Keep in mind that both Tiffin and Newmar have been sold and it is yet to be seen if the new ownership will maintain the previous good customer service.

Tiffin was purchased by Thor. I understand that Bob Tiffin will remain involved for a while through the transition and then for a while afterward. I suspect that Tiffins will remain a quality option. My observation of Thor Industries is that they are the umbrella that watches over numerous brands. Thor's goal is to have an RV in every class and every price point to cover as many potential new RV buyers as possible. This means that some Thor brands are going to put out lower cost and lower quality rigs, and there will be brands that are higher cost, and hopefully higher quality.

Airstream is a Thor brand and I don't hear too many Airstream owners complaining about their rigs quality. Plus, Airstream seems to still be Airstream even under the Thor umbrella. Thor's purchase of Tiffin was to have an Airstream-like manufacturer of motorized RVs in their brand line which they don't have right now. Some RV industry analysts indicate that Thor is unlikely to do much to Tiffin, at least in the near term. They purchased Tiffin because it was a quality motorhome manufacturer, not to tear it apart.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> New again, remind me
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.