Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Wheel bearing advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Wheel bearing advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 01:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there a right/wrong way on maintenance as far as replacing bearings/seals.......age (1x/yr or every 3 years etc) OR miles??? Both myself and a co-worker would like to know what you folks all think or do. I give mine 3-4 shots of grease every year but don't know about co-workers. Told him I'd ask as he's just as curious as me. Either I've been lucky or fortunate, but no probs is 4 years and approx 5-7k miles.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

NMDriver2

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I check at the beginning of each long trip by removing the center cap. I also check the tire and hub temperature as I make stops along the way. If you use the back of your hand near the center cap as you walk around the unit you will notice any hub that is hotter than the others. Water submersion is the main reason to repack in my experience. I have gone through flooded areas and needed to repack right away and if I keep the axles out of the water I have waited as long as 20,000 miles and 5 years on the RV. On the boat I repack at the beginning of each season and check as mentioned above each time it is in the water.

Turret Class traveler

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I HAD those zerks 2 RV's ago and never used them...

I will tear down the components at the beginning of each year to visually inspect. If the outter bearings or shaft look questionable, I will tear down into the inners and re do the seals as well.. For normal wear, I will repack each assembly probably every 2 years.

disclaimer - - I am not a full timer, we are just weekend warriors , last year we only took 4 trips for a total RV rolling miles of about 3500 miles total.the truck did 5000 miles total last year

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

southernsky

Ponchatoula La.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do ours yearly, we travel around 10-15,000 miles. Tear them down, repack, change seal and adjust brakes.

2019 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW Crew Cab 6.7 H.O. CTD 4X4
2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL 5th Airborne

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This thread should generate some activity, due to the many opinions on the subject, and the CYA recommendation of the manufacturers.

My opinion...bearing service is either done way too often, or just completely ignored, until there is a failure. I do the bearings very soon after purchase, when new, and right away if trailer is purchased used.

Once I have inspected the bearings, and packed them well, with quality grease, they are good for 4-5 years, in my use. The seals should be replaced any time they are removed obviously.

I have used the zerks also, and no issue with the seals leaking grease onto the brakes. Follow the manufacturers recommendation on the proper procedure for zerk use. A tip...I tow the trailer to warm the bearings/existing grease first, before using the grease gun, that I lay in the sun to warm/soften the grease. I add enough grease, to see fresh coming out the front bearing.

Jerry

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

I give mine 3-4 shots of grease every year

Then you never greased the outer bearings. I consider the EZ-Lube thing a gimmick that might contaminate the brakes.

I never use the grease fitting and hand pack every year, PA state inspection requires pulling one hub per axle anyway.

Info

You have been on here for many years, not much more can be written on the subject.

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As MFL stated bearings are checked way too often. I have lived on a farm all my life and we never pulled bearings on our tractors and they travel in the dirt. I never have pulled bearings on any of my vehicles.
When I purchase a new fiver I pull the bearings, clean, repack and inspect the brakes. Then I may go 7 years before doing it again. In my previous fiver I checked the bearings twice in 15 years and the second time was a waste of my time.
This is just my thoughts on it.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 do it right the first time, they,ll go years .don,t hurt to pop a cap and look .

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

This thread should generate some activity, due to the many opinions on the subject, and the CYA recommendation of the manufacturers.

My opinion...bearing service is either done way too often, or just completely ignored, until there is a failure. I do the bearings very soon after purchase, when new, and right away if trailer is purchased used.

Once I have inspected the bearings, and packed them well, with quality grease, they are good for 4-5 years, in my use. The seals should be replaced any time they are removed obviously.

I have used the zerks also, and no issue with the seals leaking grease onto the brakes. Follow the manufacturers recommendation on the proper procedure for zerk use. A tip...I tow the trailer to warm the bearings/existing grease first, before using the grease gun, that I lay in the sun to warm/soften the grease. I add enough grease, to see fresh coming out the front bearing.

Jerry

IMO this is exactly the right way to do it. Unless you have lots of spare time, and enjoy getting your hands dirty, follow Jerry's advice and you'll be golden.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the every two year crowd and we're not full-timing, but it gives you an opportunity to check the brakes. This year, I found one brake magnet wire severed, and I hadn't noticed any reduction in stopping power. I'm reconsidering every year now.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Wheel bearing advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.