cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GCWR - Can't Be Changed?

Gene_K_2
Explorer
Explorer
I've read repeatedly that GVWR/GCWR is assigned at the time of production and can't be changed.

So the question is, do I get to keep my GCWR?

I have a..

2018 F150 SuperCrew 145 4x4
Engine: 3.5 Ecoboost
Axle: 3.55 E-Locker
Wheels: 18"
Towing Package - Class IV Hitch

Ford has assigned my VIN an 18100 GCWR (Which is supposed to be for the Max Tow with 20" Wheel Option). So the question is , since it can't be changed do I get to keep it?
19 REPLIES 19

Gene_K_2
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
Gene K 2 wrote:
Groover wrote:

In 2019, a Max Tow came with the 3.55. HD Towing package only came with the 3.31. HDPP came with the 3.73.

In 2018 the 3.55 was available on any 3.5EB unless the model came standard with 3.73 or 4.10.

I was unaware of the restriction in 2019. The RV&TT Guide still showed them as an qavailable combo.

Thankfully in 2021 you can order the 3.55 on any 3.5EB except models that come standard with 3.73.

Not a restriction, just what comes with that option package. You can always pay extra for a better axle, like I did, with certain limitations.

Okay, I thought when you said HD Tow only came with 3.31 in '19 you meant exclusively.

I think the only thing that was required in '18 was Elocker and $100.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Gene K 2 wrote:
Groover wrote:

In 2019, a Max Tow came with the 3.55. HD Towing package only came with the 3.31. HDPP came with the 3.73.

In 2018 the 3.55 was available on any 3.5EB unless the model came standard with 3.73 or 4.10.

I was unaware of the restriction in 2019. The RV&TT Guide still showed them as an qavailable combo.

Thankfully in 2021 you can order the 3.55 on any 3.5EB except models that come standard with 3.73.

Not a restriction, just what comes with that option package. You can always pay extra for a better axle, like I did, with certain limitations.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blt2ski wrote:

Yes, I've been pulled over at 150%of manufactures ratings, I have YET to get an aver weight ticket, as I've always been under registered weight/tax paid for damage I'm doing to roads at that weight! That's ALL an leo/cveo cares about from a weight perspective.
I have had warranty denied due to above and beyond GM spec for what should or could have been under warranty.
Marty

Or to put it more succinctly, GVW and GCVW ratings only matter if the cop is planning on writing you a ticket for not having the proper driver's license classification.
Registered GVWs and bridge/axle load limits matter if he's planning on writing you an equipment violation.

Neither of them really matter when computing what you think you can tow or haul.

But, hey it's rvnet and there's a dead horse to beat somewhere. May as well be in this thread.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Gene_K_2
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
You get to keep the GCWR but the 3.55 axle means that you don't have Max Payload Package and that means that you likely don't have the GVWR to handle the tongue weight associated with a trailer heavy enough to get you to your GCWR.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

blt2ski
Gene,
ALL you have to worry about is warranty.
With what you said re up to 14000 have, you're legal if pulled over to 14000 on your two axles.
As far as legal gcw goes, again, legal us max your registered for. Probably upwards of 80,000 lbs. Assuming you have enough axles etc under you to carry the weight from the road bed engineer specs.
But, if you blow your tranny up at 20k miles, doing 80k lbs, ford will deny warranty as you're over 18000 gcw.

Yes, I've been pulled over at 150%of manufactures ratings, I have YET to get an aver weight ticket, as I've always been under registered weight/tax paid for damage I'm doing to roads at that weight! That's ALL an leo/cveo cares about from a weight perspective.
I have had warranty denied due to above and beyond GM spec for what should or could have been under warranty.
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Gene_K_2
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
You get to keep the GCWR but the 3.55 axle means that you don't have Max Payload Package and that means that you likely don't have the GVWR to handle the tongue weight associated with a trailer heavy enough to get you to your GCWR.

For a travel trailer, yes.

I have trailers I can get to 18100 GCW without busting Truck GVWR. I have a little over 1900 Payload.

Gene_K_2
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
Your gcwr/gvwr us a warranty item only. Most states you get the gvw/gcw you pay for. Here in Wa st, you would have an 8k registration, that is legal max you can have on your four truck tires. If you wanted to buy a 10 or 12k or up to around a 20k plate, you would be legal to that amount. Of course their are some other rules and regs you would not meet running down the road at 20k lbs. I can't recommend you do so, but you would be legal from a weight standpoint, but illegal from a braking standpoint. THAT law will hurt you way the heck more than the weight law ever will!

Marty

Here for private or farm use you only have to register pickups for their empty weight without trailer.

Pickup is defined as 14,000 GVWR or less.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II

Gene_K_2
Explorer
Explorer
Double.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you alter any of the trucks parts the manufacturerโ€™s guarantees of certain capacities is gone and you are responsible. Not fun to be unable to point at anyone else.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Gene_K_2
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Maybe it's because he has 18" wheels, and the GCWR is supposedly for trucks with 20" wheels?

18100 = Max Tow + 20" Wheels

I have neither.

Apparently that's what's in Ford's Records assigned to my truck even though it's 2,000 lb higher than it should be for my equipment.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can keep it as long as you own the truck. Safe travels.

blt2ski
Your gcwr/gvwr us a warranty item only. Most states you get the gvw/gcw you pay for. Here in Wa st, you would have an 8k registration, that is legal max you can have on your four truck tires. If you wanted to buy a 10 or 12k or up to around a 20k plate, you would be legal to that amount. Of course their are some other rules and regs you would not meet running down the road at 20k lbs. I can't recommend you do so, but you would be legal from a weight standpoint, but illegal from a braking standpoint. THAT law will hurt you way the heck more than the weight law ever will!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer