cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about removing hitch with puck-system.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up my 2021 Ford with factory-installed hitch just three weeks ago and am still learning about it. Yesterday, I removed the puck-system hitch in order to do some hauling. The hitch legs are held in place by four bolts (which the manual calls "T-pins".) Three of the T-pins stayed in place, but the fourth one dropped through to the ground. There are metal plates below three T-pins to prevent them from falling, but there is only air below the fourth.

This problem with one T-pin made it a bit tricky to re-attach the hitch.

Is my truck missing a plate below the fourth T-pin, or was the puck system designed so that one T-pin can fall to the ground when the hitch is removed?
9 REPLIES 9

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
From OP: Ok, thanks, guys. As I said, I have a lot to learn. I was beginning to get the hang of my 2008 truck and setup when I traded it in.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
AGREE with Michelle...

My B&W has castle nuts (held in place with cotter pins) holding the handle onto the locking pin.. I really never looked down that hole to see what is there, juts insert the hitch, turn the handle and lock in place....

Don't forget the padlock!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

GIB2
Explorer
Explorer
I believe you are calling the T pins bolts because you see threads. There should be a lever which turns that T pin 90 degrees. There should be a castle nut which needs to be tightened so it snuggly turns by hand and secured from backing off with a cotter pin. It sounds to me like someone just threw it in the truck to get it out the door. There should be virtually no movement between truck and hitch. I would suggest going on line for hitch manufacturer
and printing out the assembly instructions as there may be torque specifications in properly setting up the hitch including height adjustment.
This system is great but needs proper adjustment and only needs to be done once.

AGREE with Michelle...

My B&W has castle nuts (held in place with cotter pins) holding the handle onto the locking pin.. I really never looked down that hole to see what is there, juts insert the hitch, turn the handle and lock in place....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like to OP removed the adjustment nut from the pins vs turning the latching lever 90 degrees.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoyF wrote:
I picked up my 2021 Ford with factory-installed hitch just three weeks ago and am still learning about it. Yesterday, I removed the puck-system hitch in order to do some hauling.The hitch legs are held in place by four bolts (which the manual calls "T-pins".) Three of the T-pins stayed in place, but the fourth one dropped through to the ground. There are metal plates below three T-pins to prevent them from falling, but there is only air below the fourth.

Is my truck missing a plate below the fourth T-pin, or was the puck system designed so that one T-pin can fall to the ground when the hitch is removed?

Well if you removed the nuts from the bolts, then all bets are off. As mentioned earlier the puck locks unlock with a simple 1/4 turn. Now you will need to reassemble the pucks and adjust play.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
This sounds like more of a hitch issue to me. I'm not sure if Ford is still using the Reese Elite, as their factory supplied hitch. In any case, if the hitch needs replacing, and you can get reimbursed from Ford, I'd take a good look at the 3300 from B&W.

Jerry

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
RoyF wrote:
I picked up my 2021 Ford with factory-installed hitch just three weeks ago and am still learning about it. Yesterday, I removed the puck-system hitch in order to do some hauling. The hitch legs are held in place by four bolts (which the manual calls "T-pins".) Three of the T-pins stayed in place, but the fourth one dropped through to the ground. There are metal plates below three T-pins to prevent them from falling, but there is only air below the fourth.

you can look right through the mount, there is nothing there to hold the pins. but what concerns me is that thoes pins should be physiclay attached to the hitch and not repmain in the mount.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The pins are supposed to remain attached to your hitch. You just turn them 90 degrees and lift them out with the hitch.
What hitch do you have?