cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you use for local travel once camped up?

LittleEnglander
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of buying a couple of folding bikes to use for local transport once I'm on site.

What's other using? Walmart have some 219 dollar folders, or should I buy a scooter?
28 REPLIES 28

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
LittleEnglander wrote:
Thanks all, I'm renting the RV from El Monte and don't have a tow car capability. So I guess it's either Lime or similar scooter app or a couple of WalMart bikes.

Thank You
If you need the transportation for sightseeing, consider Enterprise rentals sisnhce they say they will deliver the car to you.

If the issue is just getting groceries, lots of supermarkets deliver.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
Bikes are great good exercise.

Covetus
Explorer
Explorer
I dolly tow, as well as take bikes. Bikes for short runs...but my Suv for everything else...no need to unhook the rv from the utilities. imho

LittleEnglander
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
As soon as you open the door they float like rocks!

What ever you're on ... it can't be legal!

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
As soon as you open the door they float like rocks!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on where and how far you are going. If you dont absolutely have to have folding bikes then do not get them. If all you need is transportation a short distance then, yes, get the cheapest piece of junk bike walmark sells. Bikes get stolen. Homeboy is tired of walking so steals your bike. Cheap bikes are not such a tragic loss, and cheap to replace.
Hills need to be considered. Nothing stops a non-cyclist from riding like hills. Ideal to have a flat area you will travel on.
a quick store visit you can lock the bike up, but longer stays the bike might be gone when you come out. With two people one can stay with the bikes if needed.
I use a small bike lock for very quick store visits, and where I can see out the front window at a glance. I dont trust anyone, and my bike is way way more better than walmark garbage...
Scooters are better, faster, wider range and easier to use. They are harder to steal being heavy and needing a key. If you have room for a scooter that is great, but I would not go out and buy one just for your first rental trip. Use what you have. Borrow some cheap walmark bikes for your first trip as the bikes might never come off the rack either unless homeboy steals them off the rack too.

I never need to do a store run as I just buy what I need before parking. The one store run I did was to get a part to fix the truck, and the truck was down, so bike only option. I use bike for recreation, not errands.

Also a BIG factor, and I am way way more fit than anyone who has even seen this forum, is that riding a bike will make you sweat and get a little dirty if you go any distance (10 mins or more) and especially if there are hills to climb. And if you wear a helmet then your pretty hair is messed up for the party. With an electric assist bike or a scooter you will not sweat. This is something to consider even for the fittest rider. As good as it is to ride a bike and not use gas or spend money on gas or batteries, the reality is that your choice is "do I want to get sweaty right now or do I want to just drive?", and often the answer is "dont want to get sweaty".
The Europeans get sweaty, but Americans like to stay clean, so the bikes tend to stay on the rack in reality.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are two asthmatics with bad knees and just bought Pedigo e-bikes. Love then for getting around the campground and local store. Not the cheapest around, but very reliable & made by a reputable company with great customer service.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

LittleEnglander
Explorer
Explorer
That's right, I'm flying in on a90 day visa from England, picking up in NY and driving to Miami via the most scenic route.

About 80 nights in the RV, just need some bikes to get around, the Camping World $199 look favourite. I'll probably give them away to some kid in Miami.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Are you renting the rv and driving it back to your home area?

I believe the OP is visiting from England so i doubt they'll be driving it to their home area.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Are you renting the rv and driving it back to your home area?
If so consider getting standard bikes at your starting point from Helmart or wherever and a hitch mounted carrier like this bike carrier and you can simply keep what you like from the setup at the end of your trip.
Or if you are starting from home and finishing there as well, as was mentioned before with the ruckus type scooter, again Horrible freight sells a carrier , myself I have a little 150cc scooter that I take along.
scooter.
yes its a cheap Chinese scooter, but at 3 years old no problems with it, just run it new for about 15 minutes and then change the cheap oil that comes in them to remove any trash or filings.

LittleEnglander
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Veebyes,

They are bit pricey for me. The bikes I get will almost certainly have to be given away at the end of our trip. So I'm hoping for sub 200$

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a couple ofthese the XFS model. Rim size looks to be the same as most BMX bikes.

The only changes recommended would be to replace with BMX tires & a more comfy seat.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

LittleEnglander
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

It's a 7,000+ mile trip, with an El Monte C-28

New York (Newark)
Connecticut
Springfield
Boston
Bangor
Burlington, VT
Lake Ontairio
Niagra Falls
AA Royal Motel & Campground
Pennsylvania
Washington
Front Royal
Big Medows Lodge campgrounds
Rockfish Gap
Great Smokie Mountains NP
Knoxville
Nashville
Memphis
Little Rock
Fort Smith
Tulsa
Oklahoma
Fort Reno
Amerello
Santa Rosa
Albuquerque
Painted Desert
Homolovi Ruins State Park
Flagstaff
Phoenix
Tucson
El Paso
San Antonio
Houston
Baton Rouge
New Orleans
Mobile
Talahasse
Jacksonville
Daytona
Cape Canaveral
Miami
Key Largo

We've used them before and did the West coast/Yellowstone/Dakotas/Utah/Bryce/Monument/Grand Canyon/Yosimite
thing.

We've got a bit more time now I'm retired, so hoping to combine campsites and bit of wild camp (Boondocking?):)

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you do a lot of bicycling... at least compared to me! lol...

Anyways, you may very well be able to fit full size bikes inside the camper. Not a permanent solution, but will work.

Also, renting a camper - ask the dealer about a bike rack. They may already have those available (probably extra charge...) that fit right on the back and can hold a few bikes.

What kind of trip(s) are you planning?