Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What do you use for local travel once camped up?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> What do you use for local travel once camped up?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
LittleEnglander

Chester

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm thinking of buying a couple of folding bikes to use for local transport once I'm on site.

What's other using? Walmart have some 219 dollar folders, or should I buy a scooter?

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Folding bikes are heavy. The more you pay, the lighter they get and heavy bikes don’t get ridden much. Anything over 30 pounds total will be disappointing IMO. “Spinning” weight...as in wheels, tires, tubes...counts double. If you have a choice, go for light wheels.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well Chester,

It all depends on what your situation actually is.....
We have a small almost antique coach that is barely larger that car size, and shorter than some pick-ups.
We do carry a pair of folding (I often call inflatable) bicycles and they serve us well. We do not tow the towed anymore, it was just too much worry and hassle. As it takes mere moments to clear away the utilities if we have bothered to hook up.
I go someplace that we know we will want convenient local travel, we just rent a car on the way into town.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog (one is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WE use our truck cause most of our camping is NOT close to any towns

What RV do you have?
Do you use or take a vehicle with you?

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tried bikes for a number of years and found as Old-Biscuit noted more times than not, where we are camped and what we want to see, grocery shopping, et al prohibit casual bike usage. We then tried rental cars at the destination and it worked for a time and can be a pain. One place we went did not have rental cars, but they did have a cab, as in one. We broke down in a campground just 20 miles from home. Luckily the DW had driven her car. So as the tow truck went right we went left. Soon after we started taking a towed car.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

LittleEnglander

Chester

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all, I'm renting the RV from El Monte and don't have a tow car capability. So I guess it's either Lime or similar scooter app or a couple of WalMart bikes.

Thank You

lhenry8113

Cypress or Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have used Uber for local shopping. Have the Uber App on cell-call them, they pick us up at campground office. Uber drivers make great tour guides, for best restaurants, places to visit, best marketing, etc. Rented a car once for a week stay.

2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE
Mustang Hollow Campground, Mathis, TX. Corpus Christi-Lake Corpus Christi

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me, it varies depending on where I am going. Most of the time, it's some combination of public transit and walking. Sometimes I bring my bicycle (on a hitch-mount bike rack). Sometimes it's driving about in the motorhome itself.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towed, Always, you'd be really hard pressed to find an Uber driver in most areas we camp in, or even a cell signal to call Uber.
And bicycling 12 miles (one way), to a grocery store is not my idea of a fun time.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We like bikes. Plenty of very nice options for electric bikes now too. A scooter is fun, but you may need to register them and likely have to insure them. An electric bike won't give you the range that a scooter will, but will allow you to use sidewalks, park for free in towns, etc.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> What do you use for local travel once camped up?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.