Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Chromebooks?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Chromebooks?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a long time Microsoft OS user, and have been curious about Chromebooks since they're priced a lot lower than other laptops. In my research I discovered many positive, as well as negative remarks concerning them. My main concern is being locked into Google things, like Chrome browser.

If any of you are currently using a Chromebook, I'd like to hear your positive/negative experiences. Thank you.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They're nice, boot up quick. No problem using Chrome.

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They do NOT have a hard drive. All data in on the cloud.. . [emoticon] . . [emoticon]

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

They do NOT have a hard drive.
Mine has a usb port for a thumb drive. But yeah, sans internet connection they're pretty much a brick. But I knew that. Cloud data doesn't bother me.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

TenOC wrote:

They do NOT have a hard drive.
Mine has a usb port for a thumb drive. But yeah, sans internet connection they're pretty much a brick. But I knew that. Cloud data doesn't bother me.

the USB port should also be able to power a portable hard drive. 500gb up to 2tb drives are very affordable. I use the cloud for one layer of my backup routines but really prefer to have my data local. we use traditional desktops at home and a laptop on the road.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

External drive with Chromebook

trb46

Central Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love my Chromebook, especially when traveling. It weighs a lot less than a typical Windows PC. My Chromebook connects to marginal campground WiFi much better than my Windows PC. I don’t mind storing files on the cloud, but I have also used thumb drives, SD cards, and external hard drives with it for additional local storage. I have used Acer, Samsung, and Lenovo Chromebooks in the past and all have been excellent. As 2oldman mentioned, they boot up quickly; and I have never heard of anyone getting a virus with a Chromebook. Go for it!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have two cromebooks. They are great for what they are. Would not really call it a laptop in the traditional sense.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/21 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are alternative browsers you can run on Chromebooks. But I actually PREFER Chrome. The major negatives are not a lot of storage (Though you can plug in gigs of MicroSD card) and limited aps. though I find most of what I need they run. ONE program I have needs doze. but I can do everything else on Chromebook.

One big advantage.. i've had Chromebooks attacked by mal-ware.. Remove SD card. and very quickly get to Settings, Advanced, power wash, and your Chrome book is now brand new again, Same as when you first unwrapped it. Malware GONE. (unless it infected the card)

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/21 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the mostly positive replies. During my research, I had read that Chromebooks lock you in to having to use the Chrome browser. I know it's a good browser, but there are so many reports about privacy issues. Right now, I'm happily using Chromium Edge and Firefox browsers. I'm not crazy about the idea of an operating system forcing me to use only their proprietary programs.

Anyway, one of you said that you CAN use other browsers. If that's the case, it would go a long way towards me eventually buying a Chromebook.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Chromebooks?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.