Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

satellite radio and gps antenna

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all
I have a 2015 f350 and I need to mo e my roof mounted satelite antenna out of the campers shade.
What have you folks do done?
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953
11 REPLIES 11

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II

The OP was last on here on 11/23 so you probably not get an answer to a three year old post.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I went through this on a 2015 and 2018 ram. this year I realized how bad Sirius sounds when I started streaming HD audio. I have turned off 4 Sirius accounts in the last month.
sure you can get into place with bad coverage so I have songs on my Phone I can stream to stereo as well.

Hell, even after moving antenna to front of ram hood, it will would loose receptions some times i satellite was low in sky behind me.(about 10% of the time).
DONE!
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
On the 2015-2016 Superduties, the GPS/XM antenna on the roof has a short pigtail of just a few inches long. Itโ€™s connected to a cable that runs down the driver-side A pillar next to the windshield, and connects to another cable thatโ€™s located between the emergency brake and the service brake pedals.

Buy both, the antenna itself, and the A pillar cable, and mount the new antenna on the cowl at the bottom of the windshield, somewhere close to the driver-side hood hinge.

Run the new cable through the firewall, and to the area above the emergency brake. Find the cable connection thatโ€™s secured to the side of this module and unplug the existing A pillar cable. Plug in the new cable, and now the camper doesnโ€™t block the antenna.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
deserteagle56 wrote:
Fishbreath wrote:
Here is a post I did adding an XM/Sirius antenna to the hood. It is magnetic and I can move it from the windshield area to the front of the hood if I need to. (It is on a 2019 GMC, but the idea should work for any truck)

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30134476.cfm

This is what I did also. Magnet mount antenna sitting at the front of the hood. Never loses signal.

But since your hood is probably aluminum the magnet mount won't work. A lip antenna mount of some sort would have to be used.

For alum panels you might try, if accessible, gluing a steel plate or another magnet to the back side of where you want the new antenna mounted.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

deserteagle56
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fishbreath wrote:
Here is a post I did adding an XM/Sirius antenna to the hood. It is magnetic and I can move it from the windshield area to the front of the hood if I need to. (It is on a 2019 GMC, but the idea should work for any truck)

This is what I did also. Magnet mount antenna sitting at the front of the hood. Never loses signal.

But since your hood is probably aluminum the magnet mount won't work. A lip antenna mount of some sort would have to be used.
1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your replys.
I'll get another antenna and mount it on the cowl.
Probably not as good as out on the hood but I can't see my way to drilling a hole in the hood or even putting a magnet base on it.
Thank you. Farmerjon.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I had my sat antenna mounted on the front corner of the hood. Even then it would still loose signal sometimes when driving north.

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a second antenna and mounted it on the plastic cowl in front of the windshield. It is still occasionally blocked by the camper but far less frequently. It's an easy fix and the plug under the dash by the driver's left foot is easy to swap back and forth when the camper is on or off the truck. The antenna on the roof is in the best location but the alternate location has worked well for me.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

Do you know if there is a way to split at the plug under the dash to hook up both antennas so I don't have to switch it back and forth?

What plug are you talking aboit? The antenna connections?  @raybuckner Depends on the connectors on the cables if it is a stick in type like a car radio you could do a y cable but may cause issues  you could get or make a antenna switch which would work better theyre easy to make if you understand basic electronics and can solde

TANGO424
95 ram 12valve and homemade adventure trailer