cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for SUV recommendation

OkanaganAmanda
Explorer
Explorer
Currently have a Hyundai Santa Fe and used it to tow a light tent trailer (no trailer brakes), no problem. With Covid closing bathhouses, we have been looking to upgrade, and just bought a Jayco Jay Flight SLX7 184BS model (dry weight of about 3400lbs).

We need to trade in the SUV to something that can safely tow this (Santa Fe is limited to 1600lbs). Still prefer an SUV and this will be my primary vehicle for work, school drop offs etc, (camping a few times each summer). Gas mileage is important as we are in BC where gas prices are ridiculously high (I get about 8L/100km with the Santa Fe with is pretty good).

Which SUVs would anyone recommend that would tow this trailer well but still be a good everyday vehicle? We have two kids (in booster seats) and a dog. Appreciate any insight you might have!
35 REPLIES 35

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Please make sure with whatever you purchase, has a tow package with a good rear end ratio. I have been through this with a Tahoe with a 3:23 gear ratio and burned up the rear end. I do feel the Tahoe with the properly rated rear/front diff, will do a fine job. I had my diff ratio changed and it pulled very well with no issues. I am sure you can find one with a tow package but check on the rear end ratio before you pull the trigger on it. It is very important for towing. Also, the size of the Tahoe or whatever you look it is important in towing that you don't get a tow vehicle that is so small or narrow that you can't see around the trailer that you are towing.
Good luck,
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Reisender wrote:
A neighbour went through this and ended up with a Tesla model X towing a safari alto. But I think the alto was only around 2700 pounds or so. Expensive combo but they seem to be enjoying it. I hardly ever see them home anymore. :).

I never woulda guessed....lol

:B

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Reisender wrote:
A neighbour went through this and ended up with a Tesla model X towing a safari alto. But I think the alto was only around 2700 pounds or so. Expensive combo but they seem to be enjoying it. I hardly ever see them home anymore. :).

I never woulda guessed....lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad

whododat
Explorer
Explorer
How about a used GX 460? With the factory hitch, not aftermarket, the towing capacity is 6500 and these very capable/reliable vehicles take a large depreciation hit. We compared the used market for 4Runner vs GX460 and were shocked at the price point of a used GX 460.

Good luck.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
Also consider a cap instead of a tonneau cover.

If there is a load of snow on it, you'll have a tough time lifting it.

Plus, the price difference isn't large...depends on the options and model you choose

Have owned (???) 8-9 pickups in Alaska (with short stints elsewhere). Had one with the tonneau cover, one bare bed, the rest with caps. If the OP is considering covering the bed, I'd second BenK's advice and suggest a cap as the preferred method. Provides room for bulkier items as well....
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Also consider a cap instead of a tonneau cover.

If there is a load of snow on it, you'll have a tough time lifting it.

Plus, the price difference isn't large...depends on the options and model you choose
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
OkanaganAmanda wrote:
Thanks again everyone. Looking at the SUVs that are capable of safely towing our trailer, we have decided to just get a midsize truck. While I still like the use ability of an SUV (interior space for groceries etc as we live in a climate that gets lots of snow) it is nothing that a tonneau cover couldn’t assist with and would be more useful for camping etc. Love SUVs but do NOT want a massive SUV with three rows. Those things are giants so will opt for open truck bed space again.

I ended up in the same place. Bought a "super crew" cab, which had as much or more seating space as a 2-row SUV. And the utility of a pickup bed turns out to be great: firewood, yard and garden "stuff", gravel, furniture, etc. You won't be sorry.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

OkanaganAmanda
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again everyone. Looking at the SUVs that are capable of safely towing our trailer, we have decided to just get a midsize truck. While I still like the use ability of an SUV (interior space for groceries etc as we live in a climate that gets lots of snow) it is nothing that a tonneau cover couldn’t assist with and would be more useful for camping etc. Love SUVs but do NOT want a massive SUV with three rows. Those things are giants so will opt for open truck bed space again.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I parked my 2015 Silverado next to the latest "mid size" Colorado.

I could not tell any difference in exterior size, at least not enough to be worth it to take the hit on interior space.

They cost the same. They get the same gas mileage. They're not much different in overall size. What's the point?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I think any of the 3-row mid-size SUVs should work (with proper towing options). Most have a naturally aspirated V6, but something with a turbo-4-cyl will likely be better towing at higher elevations. Can you afford a 2020 Subaru Ascent? I would tow that with my wife's 2020 Buick Enclave if I had to. 9-gears and plenty of power.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Hammerhead
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking at used vehicles, think about the ecodiesel Grand Cherokee. Our mileage did drop a little bit after all of the emission fixes, but it’s still better than a V-8.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
parker.rowe wrote:

Found a bunch of nice ecoboost expeditions(2016+) between $20-25K, 50-80K miles for most of them. All with the tow package, integrated trailer brakes, etc. Very nice trucks, and I like my GM trucks. I thought they felt smaller from the drivers seat than a tahoe as well, although physically they are the close in size.

That would tow the trailer you a describing with no problem. And they were priced around $10K less then tahoes/suburbans with the same year/mileage around here. Most of the tahoes didn't have the tow package and had really terrible tow ratings.

My daughter and s-i-l bought an Expedition last year. They are not towing anything (yet!?), but it is a well-equipped, very capable vehicle. I like it a lot.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Just helped my father in law with shopping for a replacement for their 04 tahoe.

Found a bunch of nice ecoboost expeditions(2016+) between $20-25K, 50-80K miles for most of them. All with the tow package, integrated trailer brakes, etc. Very nice trucks, and I like my GM trucks. I thought they felt smaller from the drivers seat than a tahoe as well, although physically they are the close in size.

That would tow the trailer you a describing with no problem. And they were priced around $10K less then tahoes/suburbans with the same year/mileage around here. Most of the tahoes didn't have the tow package and had really terrible tow ratings.

If you are looking for older or cheaper than that, we can still give suggestions. But it is hard to say without at least a general price range.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000