Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Looking for SUV recommendation
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Looking for SUV recommendation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Also consider a cap instead of a tonneau cover.

If there is a load of snow on it, you'll have a tough time lifting it.

Plus, the price difference isn't large...depends on the options and model you choose

Have owned (???) 8-9 pickups in Alaska (with short stints elsewhere). Had one with the tonneau cover, one bare bed, the rest with caps. If the OP is considering covering the bed, I'd second BenK's advice and suggest a cap as the preferred method. Provides room for bulkier items as well....

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

whododat

Garwood, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about a used GX 460? With the factory hitch, not aftermarket, the towing capacity is 6500 and these very capable/reliable vehicles take a large depreciation hit. We compared the used market for 4Runner vs GX460 and were shocked at the price point of a used GX 460.

Good luck.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A neighbour went through this and ended up with a Tesla model X towing a safari alto. But I think the alto was only around 2700 pounds or so. Expensive combo but they seem to be enjoying it. I hardly ever see them home anymore. [emoticon].

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

A neighbour went through this and ended up with a Tesla model X towing a safari alto. But I think the alto was only around 2700 pounds or so. Expensive combo but they seem to be enjoying it. I hardly ever see them home anymore. [emoticon].

I never woulda guessed....lol

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Reisender wrote:

I never woulda guessed....lol

[emoticon]

Curly2001

Tucson, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/21 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please make sure with whatever you purchase, has a tow package with a good rear end ratio. I have been through this with a Tahoe with a 3:23 gear ratio and burned up the rear end. I do feel the Tahoe with the properly rated rear/front diff, will do a fine job. I had my diff ratio changed and it pulled very well with no issues. I am sure you can find one with a tow package but check on the rear end ratio before you pull the trigger on it. It is very important for towing. Also, the size of the Tahoe or whatever you look it is important in towing that you don't get a tow vehicle that is so small or narrow that you can't see around the trailer that you are towing.
Good luck,
Curly

2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Looking for SUV recommendation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.