cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Utilizing Refrigerator While Driving to RV Park

Cardinals
Explorer
Explorer
We are new to Class C and despite listening as well as I could during our walk thru I think I missed the step on turning on the refrigerator while traveling so we dan bring our own food. We have Forrester 25 foot unit. I think the demo guy said we can plug the 30 amp line into the unit itself.f (it has a plug in the back compartment) and then turn on the refrigerator and it will run off the house battery while traveling and charge the battery as the same time. Did I get that right?

Thanks is advance.

Mike
27 REPLIES 27

Cardinals
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all very much

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cardinals wrote:
I would agree with the 24 hours, same issue with the frig on our travel trailer....never thought it was going to cool down.....thanks for the response.

I use blocks of ice in my fridge and freezer while it's cooling down. Also pre cool any soft drinks etc you may carry in the fridge and keep cardboard out of there as it

absorbs and holds heat. Keep your maintenance up on the heat vent on the backside of the fridge accessible by removing the outside cover.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
bobndot,

Solar is the nearest any of us are like to get to a "free lunch".

Solar, i learned that term from you.:B We have come a long way. Remember Gilliganโ€™s Island where they peddled a homemade bike to generate electricity ?

I now have solar on my roof , solar that i can move around the campsite and more batteries If i ever have to replace my fridge i think i will go 12 v. they draw so little nowadays.

Cardinals
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cardinals wrote:
So if I only want have the fridge running while in route to our destination I do not need to have the generator running?
Correct, on automatic it switches to propane.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
bobndot,

Solar is the nearest any of us are likely to get to a "free lunch".
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cardinals, if you have a new 2021 Forester you may have the new model 10.7 12 v fridge.
I dont know that fridge. But i assume its a not lp at all. That would a low draw 12 v model that operates off your 12 v system. Solar and a larger amp battery setup would be a big plus for you if thats the case.

Cardinals
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree with the 24 hours, same issue with the frig on our travel trailer....never thought it was going to cool down.....thanks for the response.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cardinals wrote:
Thank you Bob I so appreciate your assistance. Going to test it out this weekend and see how the frig cools down.....you are the reason I like this page.

I did a study on this many years ago. The results were that the fridge ran flat out for 8 hours before the first cycle. A good rule of thumb is about 24 hours for the fridge to become fully cooled.

Enjoy your new RV!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
My rig is a 2018. I have a N611 fridge. Norcold automatic. Switches from gas to 120v. 120v is primary if running off the gen or shore power.

Model decal is inside the fridge. Model and serial #.

Cardinals
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Bob I so appreciate your assistance. Going to test it out this weekend and see how the frig cools down.....you are the reason I like this page.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Cardinals wrote:
Magic Chef/Norcold
Just identifying this thing is quite a chore here.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cardinals wrote:
So I did actually get a hold of the demo person and he said that with our unit to plug the power cord into the receptacle in the back compartment and then set the refrigerator to "automatic" and it will know to use the electric as power source and charge our battery at same time. The frig can run off of LP gas or electric. Previously we had a travel trailer and always waited until we got to the site before powering up the refrigerator.

I have a 25โ€™ FR as well. I have a Sunseeker without the optional transfer switch to switch power from that 30 amp receptacle to shore power. I have to physically plug in that 30 amp cord into that compartment outlet in order to use my generator. When i hookup to shore power, I unplug it and then connect it to shore power to acquire 120v.

It appears as you have an absorption rv fridge that runs off LP or 120v by an auto selector switch on the fridge. Most of us run it off LP while driving.
The fridge will use a very small amount of 12 v coach battery power while running off LP. That 12v power gets replenished by the truck alternator.

While parked level at home , i pre-cool my fridge off LP and don't bother hooking up to shore power . I pre-cool it for 12 hrs or so.
You can run that fridge off LP and your 12 v battery for many days without any 120v power.

Hope this info helps, enjoy and stay safe,
Bob

Cardinals
Explorer
Explorer
Well that is helpful!