Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Utilizing Refrigerator While Driving to RV Park
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Utilizing Refrigerator While Driving to RV Park

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Cardinals

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Magic Chef/Norcold

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cardinals wrote:

So I did actually get a hold of the demo person and he said that with our unit to plug the power cord into the receptacle in the back compartment and then set the refrigerator to "automatic" and it will know to use the electric as power source and charge our battery at same time. The frig can run off of LP gas or electric. Previously we had a travel trailer and always waited until we got to the site before powering up the refrigerator.

Set fridge to "automatic", definitely a 2 way RV fridge.
When you plug your shore power cord into the receptacle in the compartment, that is actually the generator output. You probably have the Onan 4000 in your MH. To have the fridge run on 120v , you would need to have the generator running, no need for that unless you want to run more heavy use 120v items, like the roof air.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Cardinals

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So if I only want have the fridge running while in route to our destination I do not need to have the generator running?

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you have a simple frig ,find a friend to teach you how to use it.

Cardinals

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well that is helpful!

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cardinals wrote:

So I did actually get a hold of the demo person and he said that with our unit to plug the power cord into the receptacle in the back compartment and then set the refrigerator to "automatic" and it will know to use the electric as power source and charge our battery at same time. The frig can run off of LP gas or electric. Previously we had a travel trailer and always waited until we got to the site before powering up the refrigerator.

I have a 25’ FR as well. I have a Sunseeker without the optional transfer switch to switch power from that 30 amp receptacle to shore power. I have to physically plug in that 30 amp cord into that compartment outlet in order to use my generator. When i hookup to shore power, I unplug it and then connect it to shore power to acquire 120v.

It appears as you have an absorption rv fridge that runs off LP or 120v by an auto selector switch on the fridge. Most of us run it off LP while driving.
The fridge will use a very small amount of 12 v coach battery power while running off LP. That 12v power gets replenished by the truck alternator.

While parked level at home , i pre-cool my fridge off LP and don't bother hooking up to shore power . I pre-cool it for 12 hrs or so.
You can run that fridge off LP and your 12 v battery for many days without any 120v power.

Hope this info helps, enjoy and stay safe,
Bob

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cardinals wrote:

Magic Chef/Norcold
Just identifying this thing is quite a chore here.

Cardinals

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you Bob I so appreciate your assistance. Going to test it out this weekend and see how the frig cools down.....you are the reason I like this page.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My rig is a 2018. I have a N611 fridge. Norcold automatic. Switches from gas to 120v. 120v is primary if running off the gen or shore power.

Model decal is inside the fridge. Model and serial #.

* This post was edited 03/31/21 05:21pm by bobndot *

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cardinals wrote:

Thank you Bob I so appreciate your assistance. Going to test it out this weekend and see how the frig cools down.....you are the reason I like this page.

I did a study on this many years ago. The results were that the fridge ran flat out for 8 hours before the first cycle. A good rule of thumb is about 24 hours for the fridge to become fully cooled.

Enjoy your new RV!

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Utilizing Refrigerator While Driving to RV Park
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.