cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new Ford 7.3 gas with 3.55 axle ratio, does it work?

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have the new Ford 7.3 gas with 3.55 axle ratio? If so does it work out for a 2500# TC?
2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC
40 REPLIES 40

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I would go with a 3.73.

Me too.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would go with a 3.73. I had a Chev 2500 6.0 years 3.73 ago and pulled a 4000 lb boat all over the NW. The 7.3 will have a lot more power and also has a 10 speed transmission. I think the 3.73 will be much better mpg while the 4.30 will have more acceleration and use a higher gear.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m considering a new F350 7.3 gas Supercab SRW longbed to be paired up with something like an Adventurer 86fb or Wolf Creek 850 and tow my 3500 pound boat and trailer.
3.73 or 4.30 gears?

Bedlam
Maybe drop a water wheel in the creek and hope they are not in drought?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
BradW wrote:
Not me! I'm gonna mount a wind turbin on the roof of my camper to charge the batteries while I'm diving non stop from Alabama to Yellowstone!

Thatโ€™s a great idea, but I think I can make it there on the 200 mile range if I drive a bit slower. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Iโ€™m not sure how Iโ€™d recharge at Yellowstone though. Only one of the campgrounds in the park have hookups. ๐Ÿ˜„

Just joking because I donโ€™t plan to buy any new vehicle. Iโ€™ve outgrown that hobby. I just wish I had a couple of decades ago.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 tons wrote:
BradW wrote:
Y'all will all have them 1-ton electric trucks before long.....problem solved. ๐Ÿ™‚

Nice, and just think we can charge them back up with solar!!

3 tons

Not me! I'm gonna mount a wind turbin on the roof of my camper to charge the batteries while I'm diving non stop from Alabama to Yellowstone!
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
With AOC in there Itโ€™s pretty much wishful thinking - better off getting a new LazyBoy - lol

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nuts to electric. The big rock candy mountain will own all the mines for those batteries in short order. I want little hydrogen power plants!
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
3 tons wrote:
BradW wrote:
Y'all will all have them 1-ton electric trucks before long.....problem solved. ๐Ÿ™‚

3 tons

You'll be parked for 8-10 hours at a recharge station every 200 miles, solar would take days....
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:

3 tons

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
1Longbow wrote:
I have a 2021, just pulled for the first time this weekend. I am very pleased,tows great and love the transmission,it shifts flawlessly, I had a Ram with a Cummins and while it might have gotten little better mileage ,and having owned 5 rams before this Ford, I like this engine.Good luck finding one though. I drove from Az. to Denver to buy this one. At the time the only one with that engine in 5 states

Well not to be naggy, but it would be interesting to know what kind of camper your carrying (and weight?), and if you tow anything ๐Ÿ™‚

3 tons

1Longbow
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2021, just pulled for the first time this weekend. I am very pleased,tows great and love the transmission,it shifts flawlessly, I had a Ram with a Cummins and while it might have gotten little better mileage ,and having owned 5 rams before this Ford, I like this engine.Good luck finding one though. I drove from Az. to Denver to buy this one. At the time the only one with that engine in 5 states

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
Highway 50 is in colder areas of NV.
Try to make Baker 17 miles long grade at common 120F and if you pass, you are good to go anywhere.

Yep ... how right you are!

If your truck can't move it's whatever load up long haul grades in August in the U.S. West with your cab air on full blast and engine temp needle not budging ... then you need something better.

So far after 15 years of ownership, the V10 E450 pulling our 12K lb. MH all over the West in any month hasn't even blinked. HOWEVER - I haven't tried Old Priest Grade with it, yet. :B
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos