cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Docking station with USB C

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love the docking station, however, I have a desktop I can not get rid of. Dang thing has a couple programs that are flat out not available anymore. My work docking station (Dell) has USB C interface.

Will a USB C to USB A adapter work to allow the old desktop to connect to the docking station?
11 REPLIES 11

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update...

Keyboard dongle on the docking station works, gaming headset, which I use for meetings may or may not work. Monitors do not work, so for now I'm pulling on cable off the docking station and plugging into the desktop. I may or may not chase down a USB C card for the desktop.

Cristian123
Explorer
Explorer
I faced the same issue when I bought a new laptop and needed to transfer some programs and data from my old desktop. I was working on one urgent project with the guys from https://www.topwritersreview.com/reviews/assignmentexpert/, so I surfed the Internet and found out that the new dock would not damage my old USB A port, and the only way out was to use the adaptor. Fortunately, my friend had it and I could finish my work in time.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Wishing you a speedy recovery, philh!
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
got the adapter, plugged into A-3.0. Didn't work, but also didn't expect it to. Need to get the computer operational and DL/update any needed drivers. It will be a few days, little slow after surgery.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that you want something more like a KVM switch so you can use all the inputs and outputs between any 2 computers. Something like this USB-C dock/hub may work for you. It sounds liek your desktop may also need a PCI USB-C card.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
APT wrote:
What are you trying to accomplish by connecting the docking station to the old desktop?

For work, I use dual monitor (both HDMI), docking station only supports one HDMI, the other goes through a display port adapter. Also, multiple charging cords for various devices, wireless keyboard and mouse, and a gaming headset for teleconferences.

My desktop has two programs on it that can not be replaced, and I really don't want to work with new programs. While both of these were awesome, the companies marketing failed and I haven't found adequate replacements. I could unplug the monitors and keyboard, but hoping the C solution will work.

I ordered one, but haven't received it yet. I'll look to see if it does data transfers.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
What are you trying to accomplish by connecting the docking station to the old desktop?
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

MrWizard
This is a case where you want to sure you get a Data cable not a charge only cable, no data syncing,
My tablet has usb C, my phone usb micro, my laptop usb A female, my thumb drives are all usb A male, I have a slew of cables and adapters
The most useful are the OTG cables, very short, micro male to usb A female,
And usb C to usb A female
OTG on the go. Cables let you connect a thumb drive to your android phone or tablet and play video or music from the thumb drive, or transfer files to the thumb drive memory stick, they are 100% connection compatible, easy data transfer
While USB C, specs do call for downward compatibility o usb 2 & usb 1,
You still need the old desktop to have the correct Driver installed for the printer, that's on the C port dock station or wifi or they will not communicate
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
thank you, I'll get an adapter.

WRT B,desktop doesn't have one. I had a C-->B cable, to try and force my work computer to print, but it's locked down too tight ๐Ÿ˜ž And to think I voluntarily gave up admin rights on work computer. Took that cable back.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
philh wrote:
Love the docking station, however, I have a desktop I can not get rid of. Dang thing has a couple programs that are flat out not available anymore. My work docking station (Dell) has USB C interface.

Will a USB C to USB A adapter work to allow the old desktop to connect to the docking station?

YES.. also if the docking station has a USB B (The full size "Client" connector) They make USB C to B cables. in fact I have one to feed my printer and assorted other stuff via a hub.

They basically make anything to anything if you search for it

The search is "USB ___ to ___ cable"

The blanks
A B C Mini Micro and Lightening. all fit.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

It should work so long as your desktop has USB3 ports.

May not work if your using the docking station to connect to a USB-C display?