cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moisture behind mattress? (Cold caught us)

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
We've traveled in our C class for a few years but haven't been in a situation where it's cold for multiple days. This morning I discovered moisture behind the mattress, likely because we were in 70° yesterday and 40° today.

It will continue to be cold for the next few days so what do the experts here suggest I do (winterizing the water system today). I'm thinking to leave the roof vent cracked open while the furnace heats us overnight so any moisture can leave.

Thanks.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.
11 REPLIES 11

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are getting water intrusion and you don't have the cabinets exposed to inside air, you might have a roof or leak along a seal. Check all sealant areas.

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
We found that we were getting water on the walls of cupboards that were along the outer walls. We now put dehunidifier units (chemical things with a bucket -- I forget the brand name) on the floor of the closets. i started by thinking there was a leak.
We had the mattress/sheets freeze to the back wall.
David and Dayle

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
joelc wrote:
Pull your mattress away from the wall about an inch so you have air flow behind it.

We full time in the PNW, I placed two about 10" pieces of 2X4 vertically at the head it work very well.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Turn the AC on so it runs every once in a while.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
"I'm thinking to leave the roof vent cracked open while the furnace heats us overnight so any moisture can leave."

Yes, that's a great first step. Good ventilation along with heat and a small dehumidifier will work wonders for condensation problems.

Good suggestions from everyone above.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It may be well-nigh unavoidable. If the inside of the exterior wall is cooler than the dew point of the air in the RV, you're going to get condensation; so the only options are to reduce the humidity of the air inside (and that may make it a lot drier than you care to be breathing) or raise the temperature of the wall, say by moving the mattress aside for awhile...or going somewhere warmer.

If it were me, I'd probably just move the mattress aside during the day to give the area a chance to warm up and dry up/air out, and not worry too much about it beyond that. Obviously taking reasonable steps to control the inside humidity is also a good idea, such as cracking a roof vent or two. Cooking, breathing, and showering all add a good bit of moisture to the air, and it's rather inconvenient to live without any of them, to say the least.

smthbros
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind input from a non-expert, I would say you are on the right track. As joelc pointed out, the mattress insulates the exterior surface allowing it to be cooler, yet it provides no vapor barrier. My concern, since there may be 5 people in the rv, cracking the roof vent may be inadequate. I think a couple inches open on the vent and perhaps a window open as well.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Pull your mattress away from the wall about an inch so you have air flow behind it." x2 and check the area carefully daily.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pull your mattress away from the wall about an inch so you have air flow behind it.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried praying? If that doesnt work i would continue to look towards science for the answer.

dhull
Explorer
Explorer
You need hypervent aire-flow moisture barrier. Worked for us.