Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Domicle not getting caught?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Domicle not getting caught?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/21 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I retired 20 years ago and have homes in 3 states as well as my DP which might be anywhere. .... Looks complicated but has worked for 20 years.

I am willing to bet that none of those States were either NY or CA.

2g's

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 12:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As suggested, go to the Escapees RV Club web site and start reading on domicile. We sold everything and domiciled in Texas for 16 years of full-timing. We didn't establish anything in Texas. We used medical as we traveled. Eventually we had some more serious issues to deal with so our main docs were where we wintered so we'd have time to complete appts. We registered in Texas and set up our Escapees mail service. We also voted national elections using our Escapees address. If you go to Livingston, TX to set up everything that little town knows all about every single process you need to do and you can get it all done in a day usually. If you're asked to sign an affidavit stating that's where you intend to live eventually, sign it. It doesn't hold you to living there. Anyone can change their mind.

The popular states for full-timer's domicile are Texas, Florida and South Dakota. There are a couple more used depending on your circumstances.

If you're on Medicare and have a good supplement for traveling, health care won't be an issue as you travel. If not, then Florida residency is best at this time through ACA.

It's important to break ties with New York before setting up domicile in another state.

We hung out with many full-timers over 16 years and never heard of anyone getting 'caught'.

dcason

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/21 01:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes, selling our house (there are PLENTY of NYC people moving to ulster county and wanting to buy and they have way more bucks in their pocket than locals). We will spend a good 3-4 months here in summer with our kids/grandkids and perhaps in winter. We do camp in COLD weather and do fine. Florida we spend about 3 months in during winter/early spring as well. FLorida for us would be the most likely choice. Not a big texas fan but who knows. First year we are keeping ny. Thanks for you input.

Our Blog

caysea7254

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use Americas Mailbox in Box Elder Sputh Dakota. That is our domicile state. We still use all of our Dr's in Indiana without an issue.

Steve & Tara Smiley
2014 3500HD Silverado
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not understand what you believe " domicile " means . You can file a " Proclamation of Domicile " and spend zero time in that state . Thousands of foreign service officers , military , out of country workers and many others do it for years . My wife and I spent 13 years out of the states and were " domiciled " in Florida all that time .Come to Florida , ya gotte have a drivers license any way , you can register your truck here , all though none of that is really necessary to claim domicile . No state income tax , get ya a mail forwarder , you never have to come to Florida again .

dcason

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/21 01:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingbob wrote:

I do not understand what you believe " domicile " means . You can file a " Proclamation of Domicile " and spend zero time in that state . Thousands of foreign service officers , military , out of country workers and many others do it for years . My wife and I spent 13 years out of the states and were " domiciled " in Florida all that time .Come to Florida , ya gotte have a drivers license any way , you can register your truck here , all though none of that is really necessary to claim domicile . No state income tax , get ya a mail forwarder , you never have to come to Florida again .

I THINK you need to live 6 months in FLorida? Not sure where I read that. Florida would be on our list bcause we are there for about 3 months in winter anyway but definetly not six months. I will have to verify this.

Ro"n"Joe

Full Timing

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In mid 2019, we flew into Florida, set up our domicile in Crestview, FL at the Okaloosa Co Office (both DMV and residence/voting) and it took less than a day. We're using Myrvmail.com as our P.O. address (they also handle Good Sams mail). You don't need to be in Florida any length of time to establish the domicile. You do though need to switch your address and banking/credit card accounts to the new Florida address prior to going to get the licences, etc... to show monthly statements that you've "moved". Used to be good info on Escapees website showing how to set up a domicile.
In fact, we were just in Crestview to switch our Montana registrations to Florida. It was a longer wait this time at the DMV office and found out you can set up an appointment in advance. Feel free to call the DMV in Okaloosa Co because I found them to be very helpful.
Oh, you can also establish the Domicile and get drivers licences w/o registering a vehicle/s in the state.

2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/21 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dcason wrote:

I THINK you need to live 6 months in FLorida? Not sure where I read that. Florida would be on our list bcause we are there for about 3 months in winter anyway but definetly not six months. I will have to verify this.

You might find the Escapees RV Club Florida domicile guide helpful in understanding the requirements. A 6 month stay is not one of them.

Florida Domicile Guide

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Domicle not getting caught?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.