Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Domicle not getting caught?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Domicle not getting caught?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/21 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aguablanco wrote:

Just use the kids address and get drivers licenses, registration, insurance and any other things you would do when you move. Have your bills go electronic with auto pay. You are not the first people to retire to AZ from NY.
RichH

AZ has an income tax rate from 2.6 to 4.5% use a no income tax state

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/21 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

I give, I don't understand the question.
bumpy

NY has high taxes. If they decide, your move is fake, they may come back and claim you are still a resident and demand back taxes. Being one step below the IRS, you are guilty until proven innocent.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/21 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been fulltimers since 2013 and maintain our domicile in upstate NY. Our income is configured so we pay no state or federal income taxes, so that's not an issue. There are some advantages for us in maintaining our NY domicile. Our motorhome registration for instance, is just $70/year and there are no personal property or wheel taxes. We jointly own a lakeside family cottage with our kids, and our senior and my veteran status gives us considerable breaks on the property and school taxes there. We also maintain a full hookup RV site there that works as our home base for annual medical appointments, etc. as well as a place to park while visiting our kids that live in the area. NY may not be the right domicile state for many folks, but it works well for us...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

doxiemom11

Victoria TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/21 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't fake it. Start full-time in the middle of the year by establishing your residency in one of the no tax states. You then file a pt-time resident tax form for the prior year with NY and your federal using the new address provided to you. Whatever state you establish your residency in, open bank accounts. Transfer your vehicle registration from NY to that state, buy vehicle insurance, set up bank accounts, register to vote etc. Do all the things you would do if you had bought a real house there. NY would not have any grounds to come after you. New address on everything , social security, medicare, all mail, etc. We use SD and have for 11 years.

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/21 11:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know where you need to establish new doctors.
My wife's primary is in Illinois, her dentist is in Colorado, her podiatrist is in Louisiana. We both had minor elective surgery in Texas. I'll be having cataract surgery in Montana this summer.
South Dakota is home we pass through once or twice a year love those Black Hills.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

dcason

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/21 03:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FOLKS! This is the case that got me going on this and I do NOT want NY coming at me for taxes:
https://caselaw.findlaw.com/mn-supreme-court/1385455.html

Our Blog

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/21 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every case and every state is different. Contact Escapees and don't give yourself an ulcer.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I retired 20 years ago and have homes in 3 states as well as my DP which might be anywhere. I call one home my primary residence although I spend little time there. Most vehicles registered there (no yearly tax or inspection and no emissions on diesels) I vote there, have drivers license there, file income tax there, and maintain a bank account there. I also maintain a bank account at all 3 houses, have ALL credit cards at a different address, another car registered at a different state than the rest, and income from 2 states that I pay taxes on. Looks complicated but has worked for 20 years.

dcason

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/21 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all...don't want to be the one caught due to the money I would have to give them...but it looks like many are NOT caught...so I will wing it.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/21 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you going to sell your home? If not or if you own any residence, you may be a risk of having NY State come after you for income taxes.

Otherwise you should have no issues. When we left NY as full timers we had already sold our house. In advance I set up a mailing service in South Dakota and transferred our bank address to the South Dakota address including having new checks printed. Make address changes with all financial institutions and with anyone who sends you mail. Once you physically leave NY, you will need to stop in South Dakota or other State of your choosing for at least one night. A receipt for the stay should include both you and your spouses names. That receipt and a bank statement with your new address will be all you need to set up new vehicle insurance and to register with DMV. I also recommend submitting IRS Change of Address Form 8822. Although not absolutely necessary it is another verification of your change of address from NY to SD.

I have only one caveat on the change of address. Some banks and other mainly financial institutions want an "actual" address. Your mail forwarding address will include a PMB (Personal Mailbox) number. Avoid any concerns by dropping the "PMB" designation. Just include the number as if it was an apartment number. I would not lie about this, just avoid making an issue when not needed.

There should be no "winging" involved and nothing to be caught about unless you maintain residential property in NY. You will be a resident of SD, or another State of your choosing. Your voting registration will also be in SD, not NY. Same with insurance, both vehicle and medical. I have heard medical can be an issue. We had no problems maintaining prior coverage with just an address change.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Domicle not getting caught?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.