cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ship truck and camper to Hawaii

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Cost?? 2021 Ram 5500 and Host cascade. I would prob have to separate them. I wonder if both would fit in same container. How would camper tie down, etc. Thoughts?
Better to rent there, can you?? Shipping between islands?
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride
24 REPLIES 24

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
Used these guys to ship my SUV when I moved to Hawaii. The price wasn't bad and overall it was a painless experience. Good luck.

https://www.matson.com/ship-your-car-with-matson-2.html
2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
toedtoes wrote:
If you are just going to Oahu, it might be worth it. But if you want to go to the other islands, you will have to transport to and from Honolulu at about $500-$900 each round trip depending on the size of your vehicle. So if you visit the Big Island and Maui, you're looking at an additional $1000-$2000 plus the $1700 and "slightly cheaper" return rate. So your trip now costs an additional $4000 or so. And that doesn't even cover a place to stay.

I know we get spoiled with our RVs, but in this case, I would save that money and rent a condo or just get a hotel room and rent a vehicle on each island as needed.

I pulled the rates from the automobiles pdf on this site:
https://htbyb.com/shipping-price-estimator/

As long as you can find places to camp, when you do a cost comparison, it still may work out. $200/n is nothing in Hawaii. That's $6000/month then add in the cost of a rental car for a few months.

I know they have tent campgrounds. Would they object to a truck camper using the parking lot? Worst case, do you throw a cheap pup tent in to meet the letter of the law...and then you forget and fell asleep while taking your evening nap in the truck?

RORO ships are essentially large floating parking garages. They often transport heavy machinery, so shouldn't be a big issue carrying a truck camper.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I got another email from a company and they will ship it over for $1450. What I want to do is stay for about 2 months to really look around. They do rent RV's there. But mostly class B's. Not really what we want. I guess I could ship my jeep over and figure out different hotels and air BnB. Not what I really wanted though.
We do not want to stay in a tent, at least not for 2 or 3 months.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Right?
Regardless of the feasibility or cost to do what the OP is asking about, vehicle rust from spending a couple months in Hawaii is not of significant, or any concern.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
I saw the inside the trunk of a fellow workers car that they had moved from puerto rico to the states , a terrible rusty mess. don't think I would take a $60-70 k truck and camper into that type of salty situation.
bumpy

If a vehicle becomes a terrible rusty mess by spending a few days on a ship going the 2500 or so miles from LA to Hawaii, they must turn to dust being driven for a week on salted roads in the Northeast.

Yeah some people have some tall tales.
Guy prolly tried to file a claim as well... lol

D'OH, it isn't being transported causing the rust problem, it is siting in Hawaii for a period of time. Perhaps Puerto Rico air is saltier than Hawaii? A person in my car pool bought the car so no prolly claim on it. I stopped taking my good fishing tackle to the ocean/bay as one days exposure was hard on it.
bumpy

Not sure where you are in VA, but if you go west into the Blue Ridge after a January snowstorm, the percentage of salt spraying up on your chassis is prolly more concentrated by a long shot than it is in the air in Hawaii and Puerto Rico combined. You must not catch many fish LOL.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
I saw the inside the trunk of a fellow workers car that they had moved from puerto rico to the states , a terrible rusty mess. don't think I would take a $60-70 k truck and camper into that type of salty situation.
bumpy

If a vehicle becomes a terrible rusty mess by spending a few days on a ship going the 2500 or so miles from LA to Hawaii, they must turn to dust being driven for a week on salted roads in the Northeast.

D'OH, it isn't being transported causing the rust problem, it is siting in Hawaii for a period of time. Perhaps Puerto Rico air is saltier than Hawaii? A person in my car pool bought the car so no prolly claim on it. I stopped taking my good fishing tackle to the ocean/bay as one days exposure was hard on it.
bumpy

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are just going to Oahu, it might be worth it. But if you want to go to the other islands, you will have to transport to and from Honolulu at about $500-$900 each round trip depending on the size of your vehicle. So if you visit the Big Island and Maui, you're looking at an additional $1000-$2000 plus the $1700 and "slightly cheaper" return rate. So your trip now costs an additional $4000 or so. And that doesn't even cover a place to stay.

I know we get spoiled with our RVs, but in this case, I would save that money and rent a condo or just get a hotel room and rent a vehicle on each island as needed.

I pulled the rates from the automobiles pdf on this site:
https://htbyb.com/shipping-price-estimator/
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
zb39 wrote:
Sjm9911 wrote:
April fools was yesterday.

Thats funny, but no.

Sorry bud , i had to. I do hope you work it out. Can you maybe rent something over there? Even if its like a van? Might be better cost wise. Or a tent? I think the transport of the TV and camper would be a lot. Hell, i don't even want to pay for some of the small ships at the crossings over here. Good luck with whatever you decide.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you worked out where the camper can park with you living in it? Dump stations? Need electric power?
What if you want to see a different island?

Otherwise go for it.

Can skip the hotel with a livable condo or short term rental and live like the locals.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Just talked to a shipper. Roll on Roll off, truck is inside ship. Pre covid was $1000 out and slightly cheaper to come back. Now $1700 out and cheaper coming back. If we stayed for 5 or 6 weeks It would be worth it to me. Camper is another issue. I'm just starting to look into this. I'm not a hotel person. Stayed in to many of them flying for the USAF for 6 years. If I can't take the camper I would send my Jeep Wrangler. I would need a place to stay though.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most of the RV rentals I've seen on google are vans or Small SUV/trucks with platform tents on top.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
We spent two weeks visiting the four avaliable Hawaiian islands, and donโ€™t really remember seeing any RVโ€™s while we were there.