Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ship truck and camper to Hawaii
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ship truck and camper to Hawaii

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/21 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your camper will not fit inside a standard shipping container. It is too wide, maybe too tall as well. Look here for some measurements (random google search result): https://blog.mobilemodularcontainers.com/shipping-container-dimensions
You will likely need to ship ro/ro (roll on/roll off).
You need to talk to a shipping company for reliable information and a quote.
The shipping rates are daily rates, so the price you pay in a few months may be very different from what you get quoted today.

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/21 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We spent two weeks visiting the four avaliable Hawaiian islands, and don’t really remember seeing any RV’s while we were there.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/21 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the RV rentals I've seen on google are vans or Small SUV/trucks with platform tents on top.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/21 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just talked to a shipper. Roll on Roll off, truck is inside ship. Pre covid was $1000 out and slightly cheaper to come back. Now $1700 out and cheaper coming back. If we stayed for 5 or 6 weeks It would be worth it to me. Camper is another issue. I'm just starting to look into this. I'm not a hotel person. Stayed in to many of them flying for the USAF for 6 years. If I can't take the camper I would send my Jeep Wrangler. I would need a place to stay though.

2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/21 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

I saw the inside the trunk of a fellow workers car that they had moved from puerto rico to the states , a terrible rusty mess. don't think I would take a $60-70 k truck and camper into that type of salty situation.
bumpy

If a vehicle becomes a terrible rusty mess by spending a few days on a ship going the 2500 or so miles from LA to Hawaii, they must turn to dust being driven for a week on salted roads in the Northeast.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/21 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you worked out where the camper can park with you living in it? Dump stations? Need electric power?
What if you want to see a different island?

Otherwise go for it.

Can skip the hotel with a livable condo or short term rental and live like the locals.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/21 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

I saw the inside the trunk of a fellow workers car that they had moved from puerto rico to the states , a terrible rusty mess. don't think I would take a $60-70 k truck and camper into that type of salty situation.
bumpy

If a vehicle becomes a terrible rusty mess by spending a few days on a ship going the 2500 or so miles from LA to Hawaii, they must turn to dust being driven for a week on salted roads in the Northeast.

Yeah some people have some tall tales.
Guy prolly tried to file a claim as well... lol

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/21 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zb39 wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

April fools was yesterday.

Thats funny, but no.

Sorry bud , i had to. I do hope you work it out. Can you maybe rent something over there? Even if its like a van? Might be better cost wise. Or a tent? I think the transport of the TV and camper would be a lot. Hell, i don't even want to pay for some of the small ships at the crossings over here. Good luck with whatever you decide.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are just going to Oahu, it might be worth it. But if you want to go to the other islands, you will have to transport to and from Honolulu at about $500-$900 each round trip depending on the size of your vehicle. So if you visit the Big Island and Maui, you're looking at an additional $1000-$2000 plus the $1700 and "slightly cheaper" return rate. So your trip now costs an additional $4000 or so. And that doesn't even cover a place to stay.

I know we get spoiled with our RVs, but in this case, I would save that money and rent a condo or just get a hotel room and rent a vehicle on each island as needed.

I pulled the rates from the automobiles pdf on this site:
https://htbyb.com/shipping-price-estimator/

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/21 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

bumpy

Yeah some people have some tall tales.
Guy prolly tried to file a claim as well... lol

D'OH, it isn't being transported causing the rust problem, it is siting in Hawaii for a period of time. Perhaps Puerto Rico air is saltier than Hawaii? A person in my car pool bought the car so no prolly claim on it. I stopped taking my good fishing tackle to the ocean/bay as one days exposure was hard on it.
bumpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ship truck and camper to Hawaii
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.