cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grounding strap from radio antenna, where to connect it?

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
So, as part of my restoration process on a 1975 Amerigo TC-11 Snap-n-Nap slide in truck camper, I've been adding some new tech to it.

One of those additions I made a while back was installing a "through roof" stereo antenna for the radio.

The roof on the Amerigo to which it is attached is made of fiberglass, however, said antenna has a ground plane strap that comes off of it.

My question is there's no metal anywhere in the area that I could attach it to.

Should I:

A.) Attach it to the installation cage of the stereo itself

B.) Connect it into the 12v- wire, as the aluminum side panels of the camper have a ground strap that connects them back into same said 12v- circuit

C.) Ignore it.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL
8 REPLIES 8

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I used aluminum tape to make a large * (asterisk) shape on the roof of my trailer with the antenna mounted in the center. It gets outstanding reception. Way better than the factory stereo in my tow vehicle.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
I'm on my second Bigfoot fiberglass camper. Both had AM/FM radio antennas with no ground plane. Reception seems good enough.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Matt, my camper had a combo TV/satellite antenna on the roof when I bought it, and I removed it leaving several holes in the roof. I patched it by buying a wide roll of aluminum flashing, and completely covering the underside of it with Eternabond double-stick tape. I used self-leveling lap sealant around the perimeter of the patch.

It has never shown the slightest indication of peeling off. You could use this same method to create an antenna ground plane.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok FM radio is the 3 meter band so you need 0.75 meters of "Ground plane" ideally a circle.. If you can just apply window screen to the undeside of the roof. or to the top and paint over it with snow roof or some like product.

NOTE the radio will very likely work just fine without the ground strap just reception may be.... different.

or extend the strap down so it's a full 3/4 meter long (75 CM) straight DOWN from the whip. it does not actually need to be grounded. (if you mount it so it's over a wall you can easily do that.

For Recieve only nothign is critical.

Now for Transmitters...... Totally different ball game (I have something like 5 transmitters behind me 4 actually work one is not currently in use)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
JoeChiOhki wrote:
DrewE wrote:
Ideally: install a piece of sheet metal under the antenna (a few square feet) and attach it to that. The ground plane is there to basically act as a sort of RF counterpoise for the main antenna element; the DC voltage it's at is comparatively of little importance from an antenna performance standpoint (but may be of great importance to the circuitry in the radio or any amplifier circuitry in the antenna).

If you aren't going to create a proper ground plane, connecting it to most any handy chassis ground potential place is probably the best plan, but it may be worth experimenting with it connected and unconnected to see if perchance one works better than the other.

Ergo, the question. The unit is entirely made of wood and fiberglass and there is not space where the antenna was mounted to attach a metal ground plane, ergo why I was wondering if there was another route that could be taken with the grounding strap.

I think Drew was suggesting to "mount" (glue or screw) a piece of metal under, near or around the antenna area. That metal can be nothing more than some light gauge galvanized tin or even aluminum.

The antenna should already have a connection to 12V ground via the outside shield of the antenna coax which should have an electrical connection to the antenna strap. The coax shield should connect through the radio to the battery negative ground connection and the negative ground wiring becomes the "ground plane".

As Drew mentioned, try it as is, if it works then go with it as is, if it doesn't work well then adding some light gauge sheet metal to the roof near the antenna might help.

Mk, thank you :). I just wanted to get a second pair of eyes on the setup, as I'll be finally completing the setup of the stereo as completion of the restoration has finally entered the completion of the electrical system stage.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
JoeChiOhki wrote:
DrewE wrote:
Ideally: install a piece of sheet metal under the antenna (a few square feet) and attach it to that. The ground plane is there to basically act as a sort of RF counterpoise for the main antenna element; the DC voltage it's at is comparatively of little importance from an antenna performance standpoint (but may be of great importance to the circuitry in the radio or any amplifier circuitry in the antenna).

If you aren't going to create a proper ground plane, connecting it to most any handy chassis ground potential place is probably the best plan, but it may be worth experimenting with it connected and unconnected to see if perchance one works better than the other.

Ergo, the question. The unit is entirely made of wood and fiberglass and there is not space where the antenna was mounted to attach a metal ground plane, ergo why I was wondering if there was another route that could be taken with the grounding strap.

I think Drew was suggesting to "mount" (glue or screw) a piece of metal under, near or around the antenna area. That metal can be nothing more than some light gauge galvanized tin or even aluminum.

The antenna should already have a connection to 12V ground via the outside shield of the antenna coax which should have an electrical connection to the antenna strap. The coax shield should connect through the radio to the battery negative ground connection and the negative ground wiring becomes the "ground plane".

As Drew mentioned, try it as is, if it works then go with it as is, if it doesn't work well then adding some light gauge sheet metal to the roof near the antenna might help.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer