cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil fill question

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Winnebago Vista. Will be changing the oil soon. Refill always seems to be a problem since the filler neck is so close to the top of the opening. I typically buy the 5qt oil jugs and can't seem to get them to match the opening with out spilling. Have tried different funnels even bought some different watering cans etc with out much success. It's hard to hold the big container and the funnel. Any ideas/suggestions??
13 REPLIES 13

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch...your link didn't work for me.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I use the 1-quart funnel below to refill my MH oil. I remove the supplied hose and with the twist valve closed, fill it to the 1-quart mark from a 5-quart jug. Once it's in place, I twist the valve open and watch it drain down the fill tube. The funnel also works well for transmission fluid.

Hopkins 10704 FloTool Spill Saver Measu-Funnel
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

bzboy
Explorer
Explorer
We got a Vista also. Walmart sell a screw on oil funnel. I believe its blue in color. Screw the funnel on and use 1 quart bottles and its crazy easy.

Also suggest getting the fumoto oil valve for drain pain and some clear tubing to direct it into a oil pan.

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If you know someone who uses WalMart DEF in their diesel, get the screw on pour nozzle/extension from them when their DEF container is empty. It screws on to the four and five quart oil containers and gives you about a foot of pour extension to work with.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yup. on the Northern tool page the low cost pump is about 28 bucks.. Harbor Freight has 'em too but I liked the NT site cause of the selection (some over 500 dollars ONE Under 30)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
MY FRIEND WENT ON E BAY GOT a 12 volt oil pump for about 20 bucks. he puts the suction side of pump in oil pumps it into the filler neck no mess great idea i think. sorry about the caps but it really works well he connects the power ends to battery + and - and hits the switch pumps it right in gal size or qt.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of the advantages of being a 70+ year old country boy is that back in the old days I could stand in the shop portion of my local full service gas station and chat with Gus while he changed oil (NOTE: Gus is the fictional owner of Gus Wilson's Model Garage, an educational series in Popular Mechanics back then)

The page linked has several products ranging in price from around 25 dollars to hundreds of dollars and one of them... Was in Mr. Wilson's garage (The air operated version)

They simply PUMP the oil into the filler neck

Northern Tool

Had some brake word done on a 1992 Lumina APV. Impossible to add brake fluid. Whipped out one of the below and no tribble at all

amazon dot com
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I attach a regular oil funnel to my oil fill hole and use 1 quart bottles of oil.

As a matter of fact I have it sitting on the workbench right now as tomorrow morning I'm changing my oil and filter.

First trip coming up next week since Covid hit last year.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
just put it in from the top of the engine. Most vehicles we have had there are just extension from the engine to the front of the vehicle. One engine I pump it in from the ground. I used a electric pump. You have several ways list to do it.

sundancer268
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a place to store it, a Gear Oil Pump that goes on a 5 gallon bucket would be my suggestion. You will have to find a 5 Gallon bucket and put more oil in the bucket than you need to get the required amount in the engine, maybe an additional quart or two.
U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Decant to a smaller container. Buy a oil pump. Build a fill jig from PVC and a funnel secured with rope.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lt46
Explorer II
Explorer II
After my 1st oil change, I switched back to 1qt jugs. They're much more manageable.
Peter & Dawn
[black] 97 Winnebago Adventurer 37RW [/black]
F53/460 w/ tag axle
[black] 96 Prowler 27X SOLD[/black]
IAFF L-792 (Ret.)