Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Standard hitch vs. gooseneck hitch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Standard hitch vs. gooseneck hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

Senior Member

Joined: 01/29/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/02/21 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Starting to look at a 5er again now that we have a truck that can tow it after an almost 20 year hiatus. We are thinking of using a gooseneck hitch vs. a standard hitch in order to keep the truck bed more usable. Pros and cons of either? I apologize if this sounds uneducated but can't remember if you modify a pin to a gooseneck or if you order it that way. Memory is a little scrambled because it's been so long. Thanks!


I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

Senior Member

Joined: 10/20/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/02/21 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may want to look at the Reese Goose Box or the or GEN-Y Executive pin box adaptor. Others may damage your frame or void your warranty.


2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 04/04/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/02/21 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lippert has specifically said a gooseneck adapter, except for the Goosebox, will void their frame warranty. And they are including the Andersen in the forbidden ones.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

Senior Member

Joined: 01/29/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/02/21 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

miltvill wrote:

You may want to look at the Reese Goose Box or the or GEN-Y Executive pin box adaptor. Others may damage your frame or void your warranty.


Trailer frame or truck frame?

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/02/21 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

miltvill wrote:

You may want to look at the Reese Goose Box or the or GEN-Y Executive pin box adaptor. Others may damage your frame or void your warranty.


Trailer frame or truck frame?


FW trailer frame.





Crowe

Merrimack, NH

Senior Member

Joined: 01/29/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/02/21 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Crowe wrote:

miltvill wrote:

You may want to look at the Reese Goose Box or the or GEN-Y Executive pin box adaptor. Others may damage your frame or void your warranty.


Trailer frame or truck frame?


FW trailer frame.


Thx. That's what I thought but wanted a brain check!

Flashman

Tucson, Aizona, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/02/2005

View Profile



Posted: 04/03/21 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

Lippert has specifically said a gooseneck adapter, except for the Goosebox, will void their frame warranty. And they are including the Andersen in the forbidden ones.


I call BS on this. Show where Andersen void and warranty.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

Senior Member

Joined: 01/29/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/03/21 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flashman wrote:

BB_TX wrote:

Lippert has specifically said a gooseneck adapter, except for the Goosebox, will void their frame warranty. And they are including the Andersen in the forbidden ones.


I call BS on this. Show where Andersen void and warranty.


The Product Features section starts off stating *Keep your Fifth Wheel Warranty Intact. ... They stated they have tested the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch and it has failed their testing. Using the Hitch will Void your warranty if you have a failure that shows the hitch could've been liable.

Have found this in multiple places. Keep in mind that Lippert manufactures both the frames AND their own hitch. I don't think it's so much a safety issue but an economic one.

Flashman

Tucson, Aizona, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/02/2005

View Profile



Posted: 04/03/21 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Label on my Andersen hitch says:

"This product DOES NOT void any trailer manufactures warranty"

Imagine the lawsuits if untrue.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 01/11/2011

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 04/03/21 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BUT Andersen doesn't make the Frame, a majority are Lippert and it's Lippert who will Void the warranty not Andersen.


2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Standard hitch vs. gooseneck hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.