Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Standard hitch vs. gooseneck hitch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Standard hitch vs. gooseneck hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/21 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

BUT Andersen doesn't make the Frame, a majority are Lippert and it's Lippert who will Void the warranty not Andersen.

BINGO, this was very carefully worded!

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/21 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we do it we will go with a standard king pin.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

ZeeLet50

Alden, New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/21 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW what ball are most using for the new GM HD trucks with factory puck system? I see Curt makes one and so does Reese

2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/21 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why use a hitch that could or might cause the trailer frame to fail? Seems like you are playing Russian roulette. If I know one things about companies, they will do anything to get you to buy their product and everything to not pay a claim. So, if the frame bends and cracks, it's on you. I think I read even the Goosebox is only a warranty for 2 years. What do you do after that?

Stick with a real 5th wheel hitch. If you have a ball hitch, get one that works with that like the B&W Companion.

Shal36

Winter Springs, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There’s an advantage to different types of hitches. I don’t want a massively heavy hitch head I my bed and I don’t want rails above the bed. I camp once a month and use my truck like a truck the rest of the time. Others have the ability to pull out the hitch easily. Some don’t like hitching to the gooseneck ball. Others want or need a rotating pin box which will not work with a gooseneck ball mounted hitch.

The old kingpins to gooseneck adapters put way too much stress on the frame, but I’m not sure why Lippert objects to Andersen, other than for financial reasons. If Lippert cared about there customer base, the would evaluate the Andersen and then put down requirements for Andersen to engineer towards.

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/21 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the other hand, I haul stuff. With the rails above the bed, and straps that fit the slots, I have multiple tie down points that will hold anything the truck can haul.

And I love a slider because it moves the pivot point back, which gets the 5er swinging just a bit sooner.

Make your choice and pay the money. There is a reason they make all of the choices.

work2much

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/21 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happy with our goose box. No more heavy hitch in the bed and the air bag and shocks make for a nice ride. The only downside is it's a little harder to line up hitching but adding a stripe of yellow tape in the center of the bed and on the face of the hitch does the trick if you ave a bed view cargo camera.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2400 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

OverNightSensation

West Central Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/21 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ZeeLet50 wrote:

BTW what ball are most using for the new GM HD trucks with factory puck system? I see Curt makes one and so does Reese

The Curt ball and chain anchors came with my 2020 Chevy 3500HD dually.

2020 Chevrolet C/C 3500HD Dually, Duramax
2021 Vengeance Rogue Armored 351 G2 Toy Hauler
2021 Can Am Maverick Trail 1000 DPS

If a hammer can't fix it, you got yourself an electrical problem!

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/21 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

Why use a hitch that could or might cause the trailer frame to fail? Seems like you are playing Russian roulette. If I know one things about companies, they will do anything to get you to buy their product and everything to not pay a claim. So, if the frame bends and cracks, it's on you. I think I read even the Goosebox is only a warranty for 2 years. What do you do after that?

Stick with a real 5th wheel hitch. If you have a ball hitch, get one that works with that like the B&W Companion.

Anyone who makes that statement does not understand the difference between a true gooseneck hitch and the Andersen Fifth Wheel Hitch. They're making a judgment on something they have never used. If you want to know about an Andersen, ask an Andersen hitch user.

As I said in another thread and will say again; THE ANDERSEN IS NOT A GOOSENECK HITCH! ANDERSEN GOT APPROVAL FROM THE DOT AS A FIFTH WHEEL HITCH!

First; How can an Andersen cause your frame to fail? The forces at the pin are the same as a conventional fifth wheel hitch.

Second; you must be referring to the hundreds of warranty claims made by Andersen hitch users for damaged frames. Oh, my bad, there hasn't been a single one with over 30,000 Andresen hitches in use.

Here's your answer from the Andersen website:

"A few RV/Trailer Frame manufacturers have said (or implied) that they will void the warranty on their 5th Wheel (or frame) if an adapter is used for hooking up.

Officially, that is illegal. According to the FTC’s Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act they can only void the warranty if the adapter actually CAUSES damage, not simply if it is USED. Additionally they have to PROVE the damage was caused by the adapter.

Our solution:

For the Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection, if they won't cover it, please submit a claim to [email protected] We stand behind our product and with the Ultimate Connection we will cover warranties up to $5,000,000. For more info regarding this coverage, see our supplemental warranty."

B&W, Curt, Pullrite, and others all make great fifth wheel hitches and they all work. Some of us just want a different solution that's much easier to use and more convenient to take in and out of the bed of the truck.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/21 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

work2much wrote:

Happy with our goose box. No more heavy hitch in the bed and the air bag and shocks make for a nice ride. The only downside is it's a little harder to line up hitching but adding a stripe of yellow tape in the center of the bed and on the face of the hitch does the trick if you ave a bed view cargo camera.

The Goosebox is a great way to go if you already have a true gooseneck hitch in the bed of your truck.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Standard hitch vs. gooseneck hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.