Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 5th wheel hitches
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel hitches

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/21 08:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Flashman wrote:

Andersen hitch - 35 pounds. Easy peasy. Over 25000 miles on mine and take in and while camping. Thousands sold and very happy customers.

Problem is it could void the Lippert frame warranty. Still investigating on that one.

On the aluminum model they are known for bed deflection towing heavier.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/21 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On new/newer trucks, with thinner bed metal, or aluminum bed, I would not use any single point attachment hitch, from any hitch maker. Just attaching to the ball only, and using the bed for stability can cause truck bed damage/deflection. Andersen does not make a hitch to fit the FW pucks. An adapter would be needed to attach to the pucks, and a 4-point steel Andersen hitch to fit the adapter.

Jerry

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/21 09:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flashman, it's not lies, there is a Memo out from Lippert to all users of their frames that they will no longer cover frame damage if using an Andersen or any other type of adapter. Only exception is the GooseBox.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/21 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"It does NOT void the warranty! Quit spreading lies."

I'm fairly sure someone posted Lippert's official stance about this, or the Forest River or Montana forums.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/21 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

On new/newer trucks, with thinner bed metal, or aluminum bed, I would not use any single point attachment hitch, from any hitch maker. Just attaching to the ball only, and using the bed for stability can cause truck bed damage/deflection. Andersen does not make a hitch to fit the FW pucks. An adapter would be needed to attach to the pucks, and a 4-point steel Andersen hitch to fit the adapter.

Jerry

I disagree, same as the B&W add those shims in the valleys on the bed ,there will be no deflection . I do agree ,an adapter ,and the steel Andersen is the "ONLY" way to go . Its too bad Andersen does not supply them with the aluminum hitch , like B&W did after having bed damage with their hitches . IMO any fifth wheel up to 18K GVWR the steel Andersen would be my choice every time, now that I have towed a few thousand with it, regardless of having to go the adapter. There are at least three of those adapters available to attach to the OE puck systems on the new trucks . It enables any rail mount hitch to be attached at all four points to the adapter.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/21 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To be clear the B&W 18K Companion that sat on the bed floor was designed when the truck beds were much stronger. Once they realized the beds were thinner and causing bed deflection they provided spacers to anyone wanting them and then proceeded to design a similar hitch but with adjustable spacers so there would be no further bed deflection.

Bottom line the ANDERSEN people simply have ignored this issue.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/21 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Hensley TrailerSaver BD3 and now there is a BD5. It comes apart in three pieces and easy to remove and reassemble. We've had ours since buying it new in 2010. With regular maintenance, it stands the test of time and provides a smooth ride with the air shocks.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/21 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flashman wrote:

Crowe wrote:

Flashman wrote:

Andersen hitch - 35 pounds. Easy peasy. Over 25000 miles on mine and take in and while camping. Thousands sold and very happy customers.

Problem is it could void the Lippert frame warranty. Still investigating on that one.

It does NOT void the warranty! Quit spreading lies.

Not spreading lies.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/21 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phillyg wrote:

"It does NOT void the warranty! Quit spreading lies."

I'm fairly sure someone posted Lippert's official stance about this, or the Forest River or Montana forums.
Yep, I read the same thing on the Keystone forum. One guy got it straight from his dealer that Keystone will not warranty frame damage if an Andersen hitch was used.

Saying it isn't so, won't make it so.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JTrac

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/21 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe, not sure what you mean that a goose neck type hitch is less stable. We have a Goose Box on our Pinnacle and have towed in all kinds of conditions, including some pretty stiff cross winds. I've never thought the towing experience is any different from any other hitch I have used and that includes a B&W Companion and a Trailer Saver BD3 air ride. If anything, the ride is even better with the Goose Box. What I really like is removing a 5 pound ball and I've got my bed back.

JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel hitches
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.