Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 5th wheel hitches
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel hitches

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/21 09:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

phillyg wrote:

"It does NOT void the warranty! Quit spreading lies."

I'm fairly sure someone posted Lippert's official stance about this, or the Forest River or Montana forums.
Yep, I read the same thing on the Keystone forum. One guy got it straight from his dealer that Keystone will not warranty frame damage if an Andersen hitch was used.

Saying it isn't so, won't make it so.

And we know Lippert doesn’t need any help on failures , they do okay on their own. I’ve towed two different fifth wheels with the Andersen , someone pleased explain to me what’s the difference in an Andersen and a conventional as to where the weight is distributed on the frame structure . What I do see is that the weight is located in smaller area on the pin box as to where on a conventional hitch it’s spread out more on the pin box plate . But the weight is still located and the force the same on the frame . I have heard of the adapter of the Andersen being smaller then the surface of a conventional hitch , and deflecting the bottom plate on the pin box . But as said would like to have someone explain to be how the weight sitting on that Andersen can cause a FRAME failure..

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/21 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

We have a Hensley TrailerSaver BD3 and now there is a BD5. It comes apart in three pieces and easy to remove and reassemble. We've had ours since buying it new in 2010. With regular maintenance, it stands the test of time and provides a smooth ride with the air shocks.

I went the same route with a Reese slider took it apart in three pieces, but soon tired of that , yes had to take it apart , not hard just that I had too, and then before I could use it again I had to put it back together. The Andersen solved that problem.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/21 06:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JTrac wrote:

Crowe, not sure what you mean that a goose neck type hitch is less stable. We have a Goose Box on our Pinnacle and have towed in all kinds of conditions, including some pretty stiff cross winds. I've never thought the towing experience is any different from any other hitch I have used and that includes a B&W Companion and a Trailer Saver BD3 air ride. If anything, the ride is even better with the Goose Box. What I really like is removing a 5 pound ball and I've got my bed back.

It's just from what I've read, not based on any experience. If we buy the unit was just fell in love with we would use the "puck" type system to save the bed.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

JTrac

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/21 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

JTrac wrote:

Crowe, not sure what you mean that a goose neck type hitch is less stable. We have a Goose Box on our Pinnacle and have towed in all kinds of conditions, including some pretty stiff cross winds. I've never thought the towing experience is any different from any other hitch I have used and that includes a B&W Companion and a Trailer Saver BD3 air ride. If anything, the ride is even better with the Goose Box. What I really like is removing a 5 pound ball and I've got my bed back.

It's just from what I've read, not based on any experience. If we buy the unit was just fell in love with we would use the "puck" type system to save the bed.

We've had the puck system in our last 2 trucks. Rails were a pain if you use the bed much. We use a Pull Rite ball in the center hole and 2 clips we got with a previous Ford in the rear holes for the safety chains for the Goose Box. Quick and easy.

JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see ANDERSEN causing frame failure but I have seen reports of pinbox failures.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

curt12914

Bombay NY (5 miles from Quebec, 15 from Ontario)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/21 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought my 2016 F-350, it had the pucks. I replaced my old 15K Reese (rail mount) hitch with a 24K CURT puck hitch. I really like the CURT hitch. I pull two hitch pin clips and I can remove the pins and head in seconds. I am 65 and I can easily lift the base and head in and reassemble in seconds.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My B&W is extremely easy to put in my truck bed. I use an electric winch to just lower it down out of my garage ceiling into place.
[image]

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's pretty cool.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

My B&W is extremely easy to put in my truck bed. I use an electric winch to just lower it down out of my garage ceiling into place.
[image]

WOW, you get the most creative award.

CabinetmakerII

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/21 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had purchased the Anderson hitch to replace my B&W 18000 hitch to tow my new 5er that grosses out at 21K. Before I could get it out of the box I saw the Max Pin weight was only 3500 lbs. The pin weight of my 5th wheel is 4300 lbs. Had to go to a Reese

Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2006 700 Arctic Cat ATV (X2)(Retired)
2014 Kawasaki Tyrex 4LE Side by Side

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel hitches
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.