Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How get truck and TC with ample weight capacity
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How get truck and TC with ample weight capacity

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

Everyone should get a real weight on their loaded rig.

I can only guess why this advise never made it to stickies, regardless being pointed 1000's of times.
I did not buy luxury camper to camp with minimum, so buying dually was high priority.
No surprise that my camper, rated by manufacturer at about 3800 lb, did scale 6300lb on some trips.
Than the 6300 lb TC weigh put 6800lb load on rear axle (COG behind the axle) but again, we are talking against sponsors agendas.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Careful there bud....may want to add another layer of tinfoil to your hat.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would help if some people actually looked at FAQs instead of implying that there is some sort of conspiracy. Some of the topics on weight. [emoticon]

3. Weighing your RV & Weigh Stations
Weighing in
Pin weight??
getting van/TT weight
How to weigh?
Have you weighed your motorhome?
Where can I weigh my rig?
Where do you weigh your class A
Scales
Where/How Do I Weigh?
Terminology
More Terminology
State truck weigh stations on interstate highways
Do MH need to stop at truck stop inspections?
Do Truck Restrictions Apply to Motorhomes?
Rules of the road in a Class C
RV manual lanes only
Do I have to stop at weigh stations?
stopping at wt. stations or state check points
Are RVs required to stop at weigh stations?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^Careful there bud....may want to add another layer of tinfoil to your hat.

I figured out that since they let you do all the stunts, they should leave me alone. [emoticon]

Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

malone wrote:

We test drove a Bigfoot on top of a dually and it seemed rather top heavy.

It sounds like you do not have any previous experience driving a truck/camper rig. I think you should try to rent a unit and try it out for some miles first. You may find you hate the "top heavy feeling", as you call it, and never feel comfortable driving it. What happens then if you have bought the rig?....a dually is night & day difference with stability over a SRW hauling a camper.... I have a larger Bigfoot camper on a dually, and after all the miles I have driven over the years with campers on SRW trucks, I just smile at how solid this rig feels every time I hit the road now...oh, and my truck is factory stock except for upper stableloads I put on to keep my headlights from blinding truckers.

Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

run100

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Malone. Sounds like you're putting a good amount of thought into the intended use of your truck & camper and some priorities for both. Based on that, here's some thoughts:

For now, you can put most of your focus on finding the camper that meets your needs. Once you find it, then you can match it to the right truck for the job. Many rv'ers have tried doing it in the opposite direction, only to learn they purchased the wrong truck (or tow vehicle) and wind up needing to make a change.

A VERY GENERAL rule of thumb is that short bed campers (with or w/o slides) and 9-foot, non-slide, long bed campers can be carried on srw 350/3500. 10 & 11-ft long bed campers are best on a dually. There's many exceptions, but it's a good starting point. We've had a super cab and now crew cab and find the crew cab provides significant benefits in space and functionality.

Both our campers have been wet baths and we've had no complaints. An often overlooked benefit of wet baths is they are often one-piece fiberglass showers, with no seams and minimal chance of leaks. With dry baths, some owners comment on having water get outside of the shower onto the floor, cabinets, etc. To me, the primary con of a wet bath is the limitation of one-person access. In contrast, dry baths allow one person to use the sink or toilet, while another showers.

Best of luck on your future purchases!

2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

run100

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/21 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One other thought . . .

You're taking the right approach by trying to go minimal on the camper (non-slide, flexible on size) and robust on the truck (350/3500, maybe even drw), which provides best potential for favorable weight ratings.

This approach sure beats trying to put a giant camper, with multiple slides, on a half-ton truck. Hopefully nobody has tried such a thing!

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

run100 wrote:

One other thought . . .

This approach sure beats trying to put a giant camper, with multiple slides, on a half-ton truck. Hopefully nobody has tried such a thing!

Is Ranger a 1/2 ton?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

run100 wrote:

One other thought . . .

Is Ranger a 1/2 ton?

Polaris Ranger, park ranger, Texas Ranger or Ford Ranger? Lol

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/21 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My dually Ram is stock except a Big Wig anti sway bar. Honestly I can't imagine a better match for my 9.4 Bigfoot.
I would go with a gasser if all I was hauling was a truck camper.
My understanding of today's RV market is if you find what you want buy it now, because someone else will buy it away from you.
Maybe I'm a slob but I don't get too worked up about squeeging the wet bath shower. Turn on the overhead fan, step out of the bathroom with the back door open and...

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How get truck and TC with ample weight capacity
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.