Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Concern about RVing with Our Dogs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Concern about RVing with Our Dogs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/21 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dogs are a major commitment. You are not going to be able to leave them in the RV alone! Don't even think of that. Many campgrounds, RV parks and the National Park where I hosted, prohibit leaving dogs alone. Even going to the grocery store might mean one of you staying back at the RV with the dogs.

Don't plan on having freedom to go where you want with the dogs. National Parks and some other areas totally prohibit dogs on the trail.

Another consideration is the health and wellbeing of your dogs. Some dogs just do not travel well either in the tow vehicle, motor home or left alone in a trailer while traveling.

You do not need to worry a lot about dogs being a nuisance to others. I would immediately go to the campground host to alert them to issues with dogs. Nor do I put up with unleased dogs or dogs on leashes too short for trails and other close quarters.

pconroy328

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 11:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just want to say Thank you for voicing your concern! That shows consideration that's sadly lacking these days.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good camping dog basically ignores everything beyond about a 5' perimeter of their "house". Strange people/pets/critters/kids - these are staples of camping. There ARE "fixes" - a no-bark collar that gives a buzz/shock to the barker is a good deterrent (the good ones start with a vibration, then escalate to a shock if the barking doesn't cease).

What about tent camping? (Or even renting a cargo van and throwing some cots inside)? Right now, used-camper prices are soaring - I would hate to see you pay top dollar only to find out your gang just aren't "campers"?

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/21 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What about tent camping? (Or even renting a cargo van and throwing some cots inside)? Right now, used-camper prices are soaring - I would hate to see you pay top dollar only to find out your gang just aren't "campers"?

How would this be any different? If the dogs bark at everything the type of accommodations so to speak isn't very relevant. What made the hair on the back of my neck stand up more than the barking question is the comment "pack mentality". I understand that can mean almost anything but it's a big concerning.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/21 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree. That's why I asked how many dogs the OP has. "Pack mentality" with two dogs can be completely different that "pack mentality" with three or more dogs.

I also think that a tent is not the way to go. Too many sounds and shadows to set the dogs off.

Unless the OP returns to provide more details on their dogs, we really can't say what will work or not.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Deb and Ed M

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had just suggested tent camping, to see how the dogs reacted to the experience; rather than rent - or even worse, buy an RV and then find out it won't work.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/21 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

I had just suggested tent camping, to see how the dogs reacted to the experience; rather than rent - or even worse, buy an RV and then find out it won't work.

I get that. I just think trying in a tent when they are so reactive to outside stimuli is bound to fail so it isn't a good test.

I really think the OP needs to put in some effort at home to refocus the dogs first. If they can't do that then the dogs won't change their behavior at a campground.

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/21 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used to have two dogs. When we left them alone in the rv we dropped all window shades and put the tv or some music on and the a/c fan for noise. We also put bark collars on them. We then would hang around for a few minutes when we left them to hear if they barked. The first few times we did this they barked. We would open the door and let them know this was not OK.

When we returned we asked around to find out if they barked. They did not according to neighbors in the end we did not even put the batteries in the bark collars, just putting them on their neck was enough to keep them quiet.

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/21 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Deb and Ed M wrote:

I get that. I just think trying in a tent when they are so reactive to outside stimuli is bound to fail so it isn't a good test.

I really think the OP needs to put in some effort at home to refocus the dogs first. If they can't do that then the dogs won't change their behavior at a campground.

X2

Deb and Ed M

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/21 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

OK -my suggestion WAS diabolical ;-) More of a test of "if your dogs have a "pack mentality" - who is the Alpha and can you control them??" and simply setting up a tent for a day, should show where the control problems lie without spending a fortune on an RV.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Concern about RVing with Our Dogs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.