cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No rear overload spring on my new 2012 Ford F250?

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer
Just noticed my new 2021 F250 did not come with a top overload spring like my old 2000 F250 has. Anyone have experince hauling a loaded 2500# TC on one? I have not been able to find a new F350 in my area to look at the rear springs on them. Also the spring pak has less leafs but looks beefier than my old truck. I have not loaded the TC yet, waiting on the frame mounts for tie downs. Just trying to get an idea as to what I might have to do , if anything. Old truck came with camper package but I never knew exactly what that consisted of.
2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC
31 REPLIES 31

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
mbloof wrote:
billtex wrote:

Just sayinโ€™.

Read much?

The OP has a F250. I have a F250. I offered to the OP how I carry a much heavier camper on my F250.

Off topic much? Since you don't seem to have anything to offer, why are you posting on this thread?

Just sayin.

- Mark0.

What I have to offer is it makes no sense to buy a 3/4 ton and spend thousands of dollars on upgrades when you can buy a one ton for ~ $400 more and have the OE capability.
If GVWR is a concern, those upgrades gain you zero.

Somebody piss in your fruit loops this morning?
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
mbloof wrote:
billtex wrote:

Just sayinโ€™.

Read much?

The OP has a F250. I have a F250. I offered to the OP how I carry a much heavier camper on my F250.

Off topic much? Since you don't seem to have anything to offer, why are you posting on this thread?

Just sayin.

- Mark0.

The trolls are gonna troll, just ignore them.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Americamper wrote:
Would it be cheaper to get the factory overload and sway bar or go after market?

Been a few years since I ordered my new 250, but at that time the camper pkg, when ordered was $160. My dealer said if oem camper pkg was installed later, in his shop, would be around $1,200.

In your case, after purchase, likely cheaper to go aftermarket, and may be better product.

Jerry

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:

Just sayinโ€™.

Read much?

Just sayin.

- Mark0.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
mbloof wrote:
billtex wrote:
mbloof wrote:
Americamper wrote:
I have not loaded the camper yet as I am waiting on torqlift frame mounts which should be here this week.

I carry ~4000lbs (camper+gear) on a 2017 F250. (SC, 4x4, 6.7L, Lariat)

While the loaded weight was within the stock tires maximum load ratings (3450x2), the sway driving it nearly made me sea sick.

Since I had installed Toyo M608z's 265/70 19.5" tires and Vision Heavy hauler 81 rims on the 1997 F250 the new 2017 was replacing, it was a no brainer to put them on the 2017 F250 Ford. This fixed the sway.

The rear end sag while loaded ready for camping made my head lights aim higher than on coming traffic liked so I had airbags installed. A mere 20PSI in ether side allows the headlights point where they should.

YMMV

- Mark0.

Or just buy the one ton.

Actually, the one ton (if one were available at the time of purchase) would not of bought me much of anything. (if anything at all)

While the OEM tires on F350's are rated at 3650 so MAY not have had as much sway from tire flex. (then again, I still likely would of swapped the tires/rims out for the 19.5's that I already owned)

I likely would still have installed airbags to level it out AND

.... drum roll please...

since last time I was on the scales @ ~12000LBS would of been over the one ton's GVWR.

so in the end, I replaced a 1997 F250 with a 2017 F250 and very happy with the purchase and results.

- Mark0.

GVWR meaningless for carrying a TC. You never stated what your loaded rear axle weight is but a one ton could have negated the need for; air bags and 19.5โ€ tires/wheels.

Upgrade from 3/4 ton to one ton is ~ $400.

Upgrade to those items you mentioned-which doesnโ€™t change your GVWR at all-is thousands of $$$.
And if you really are concerned about GVWR, a SRW gasser can get you 12,400 lbs.

Just sayinโ€™.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
mbloof wrote:
Americamper wrote:
I have not loaded the camper yet as I am waiting on torqlift frame mounts which should be here this week.

While the loaded weight was within the stock tires maximum load ratings (3450x2), the sway driving it nearly made me sea sick.

Since I had installed Toyo M608z's 265/70 19.5" tires and Vision Heavy hauler 81 rims on the 1997 F250 the new 2017 was replacing, it was a no brainer to put them on the 2017 F250 Ford. This fixed the sway.

The rear end sag while loaded ready for camping made my head lights aim higher than on coming traffic liked so I had airbags installed. A mere 20PSI in ether side allows the headlights point where they should.

YMMV

- Mark0.

Or just buy the one ton.

Actually, the one ton (if one were available at the time of purchase) would not of bought me much of anything. (if anything at all)

While the OEM tires on F350's are rated at 3650 so MAY not have had as much sway from tire flex. (then again, I still likely would of swapped the tires/rims out for the 19.5's that I already owned)

I likely would still have installed airbags to level it out AND

.... drum roll please...

since last time I was on the scales @ ~12000LBS would of been over the one ton's GVWR.

so in the end, I replaced a 1997 F250 with a 2017 F250 and very happy with the purchase and results.

- Mark0.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
mbloof wrote:
Americamper wrote:

YMMV

- Mark0.

Or just buy the one ton.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
mellow wrote:
You can still load it in the bed to get a test fit and check how much drop you get and how your shocks load.

What do the shocks have to do with carrying a load?
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Americamper wrote:

YMMV

- Mark0.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
You can still load it in the bed to get a test fit and check how much drop you get and how your shocks load.

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer
2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC

Bedlam
The upper overload spring on the F250 was part of the camper package - If you did not get this this package, your front coils are softer and you did not get a rear stabilizer or upper overload springs.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Have you loaded the camper on the truck yet? Plan on getting a roadmaster/hellwig sway bar at the minimum if it doesn't come with one and "maybe" bags. But again I wouldn't go throwing parts at a problem you don't have yet.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
hedge wrote:

The whole truck weighs 500lbs less is complete nonsense, quit peddling that non-truth. Whatever they saved by going aluminum went back into the drivetrain. I've owned very similar trucks across both eras and they have almost identical payload.

Our new aluminum body gas truck is ~ 500 lbs heavier than our previous steel body diesel!
It is my understanding the fully boxed frame is the culprit.
Sure is nice though...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella