cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What are you using for external water filtration?

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
Due to a recent freeze while we were away, the filtration system in our bay got destroyed...
Looking to use an external one now and probably under sink.
As full timers moving to unknown water systems all the time, what are your recommendations?
13 REPLIES 13

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I run off my tanks exclusivly. A 10 Micron sediment filter, then a 5 micron sediment filter, then a 5 micron carbon filter, then a 100 gallon/day RO membrane.

In New Orleans I have 300 + PPM TDS in, 12 PPM out.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:

Returning the unfiltered RO waste drinking water to the tank adds to the tanks contaminates which increases as the tank empties. So increased filter replacement.

Depends where you put your RO pre-filters. Mine filtered water before, not after, the water hits the holding tank. So no strain on the filters.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
Plus, you can plumb an RO system so that the waste water goes back into your water tank so there's no waste.

no issues with the "dirty" water going back into the tank?

Not really. RO systems have multiple stages: typically 2 or 3 filters (sediment, carbon block, etc), then the RO membrane itself, and finally post filters like "water polishing" or adding minerals.

The waste water or brine comes from the RO membrane so the water has already passed through filtration that most RVers use anyway.

If anything, the RO brine is hard water, not "dirty". TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) levels in ppm are usually used to measure RO system water quality. For example, one of my measurements was . . .

- "Fresh" (incoming) water: 242 ppm
- RO treated water: 34 ppm
- RO Brine: 202 ppm
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The advantage of RO is cleaner better tasting water. The disadvantage is 3-4 gallons of waste water for every gallon of clean water. When boondocking the pump also has to run more.

Returning the unfiltered RO waste drinking water to the tank adds to the tanks contaminates which increases as the tank empties. So increased filter replacement. Most of the tank water however is used for other purposes like washing hands etc and doesn't go through the drinking water RO system.

So pros and cons to cleaner water. But maybe there are no cons - I have a RO system at home because I don't like the water taste... But there is the initial cost and filter replacement and my tank (bladder) failed once and the second tank is starting to fail.

Just my 2 cents...
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
TechWriter wrote:
Plus, you can plumb an RO system so that the waste water goes back into your water tank so there's no waste.

no issues with the "dirty" water going back into the tank?

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, thank you again for all the help and info!
Nancy

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
nancyjerry wrote:
Due to a recent freeze while we were away, the filtration system in our bay got destroyed...
Looking to use an external one now and probably under sink.
As full timers moving to unknown water systems all the time, what are your recommendations?

Since you're full timers, I suggest more than one of those external Camco filters.

At the least invest in a Reverse Osmosis (RO) system for your drinking water. A system can be had for under $200. Plus, you can plumb an RO system so that the waste water goes back into your water tank so there's no waste.

Because I went through the 1993 Milwaukee cryptosporidium outbreak, my full timer water filtration system is pretty extensive.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 4" diameter filter and clear housing with quick disconnects.

Almost always run off off onboard water, and carry six 3.5 gallon cubes that are filled with RO water for drinking. Generally haven't had an issue finding a place to fill them.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
You need to figure out what you want to filter and what your budget is. The best are reveres osmosis filtration systems and are expensive.

The blue Camco in-line filters are 20 micron and won't filter out any nasties. They're for removing some odd taste at best.

Our Walmart recently stocked a filter that works like the Camco but is a 5 micron filter. That's good, but if you're worried about nasties then you really need something like a 0.5 micron filter.

So it depends on the quality of your water source and what you're trying to remove/

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good point Jim. Our charcoal filter is not used to fill the tank but is used for hookups. This setup works for us since we often use tank water which keeps the rig sanitized.

I don't fill the tank if the water is questionable and carry water bottles as backup.

Bob

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you get a whole house filtration system, I recommend getting a sediment filter only. Do not get a filter that removes chlorine. The chlorine in municipal water will help to keep your supply lines and tanks sanitized.

Reserve the chlorine removal and final polishing for just the sink. In our case we have just settled on using a Brita.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We moved ours indoors to under our sink as well due to getting to cold in our rig's wet bay. Don't find a need to filter shower, toilet, or dish water although we have an external filter we could hook up, under most circumstances we bring city water from home and use our FW pump. We get our dual filtration system/filters from Lowes, Home Depot, good variety on Amazon if you don't want to hassle with big box stores. Fittings can be had from locations above to easily integrate into plumbing under sink. After all that, we drink bottled water and use filtered water primarily for cooking.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a sediment and a carbon filter. I test the faucet water before connecting the RV. If OK the tank will be full when we leave.

Bob