Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What are you using for external water filtration?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> What are you using for external water filtration?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
nancyjerry

on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/21 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Due to a recent freeze while we were away, the filtration system in our bay got destroyed...
Looking to use an external one now and probably under sink.
As full timers moving to unknown water systems all the time, what are your recommendations?

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a sediment and a carbon filter. I test the faucet water before connecting the RV. If OK the tank will be full when we leave.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We moved ours indoors to under our sink as well due to getting to cold in our rig's wet bay. Don't find a need to filter shower, toilet, or dish water although we have an external filter we could hook up, under most circumstances we bring city water from home and use our FW pump. We get our dual filtration system/filters from Lowes, Home Depot, good variety on Amazon if you don't want to hassle with big box stores. Fittings can be had from locations above to easily integrate into plumbing under sink. After all that, we drink bottled water and use filtered water primarily for cooking.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/21 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you get a whole house filtration system, I recommend getting a sediment filter only. Do not get a filter that removes chlorine. The chlorine in municipal water will help to keep your supply lines and tanks sanitized.

Reserve the chlorine removal and final polishing for just the sink. In our case we have just settled on using a Brita.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good point Jim. Our charcoal filter is not used to fill the tank but is used for hookups. This setup works for us since we often use tank water which keeps the rig sanitized.

I don't fill the tank if the water is questionable and carry water bottles as backup.

pconroy328

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 11:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to figure out what you want to filter and what your budget is. The best are reveres osmosis filtration systems and are expensive.

The blue Camco in-line filters are 20 micron and won't filter out any nasties. They're for removing some odd taste at best.

Our Walmart recently stocked a filter that works like the Camco but is a 5 micron filter. That's good, but if you're worried about nasties then you really need something like a 0.5 micron filter.

So it depends on the quality of your water source and what you're trying to remove/

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 4" diameter filter and clear housing with quick disconnects.

Almost always run off off onboard water, and carry six 3.5 gallon cubes that are filled with RO water for drinking. Generally haven't had an issue finding a place to fill them.

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/21 11:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nancyjerry wrote:

Due to a recent freeze while we were away, the filtration system in our bay got destroyed...
Looking to use an external one now and probably under sink.
As full timers moving to unknown water systems all the time, what are your recommendations?

Since you're full timers, I suggest more than one of those external Camco filters.

At the least invest in a Reverse Osmosis (RO) system for your drinking water. A system can be had for under $200. Plus, you can plumb an RO system so that the waste water goes back into your water tank so there's no waste.

Because I went through the 1993 Milwaukee cryptosporidium outbreak, my full timer water filtration system is pretty extensive.

Part Timer 2004 - 2013
Full Timer 2013 - 2020
Part Timing Again
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

nancyjerry

on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, thank you again for all the help and info!
Nancy

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TechWriter wrote:

Plus, you can plumb an RO system so that the waste water goes back into your water tank so there's no waste.

no issues with the "dirty" water going back into the tank?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> What are you using for external water filtration?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.