Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What are you using for external water filtration?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> What are you using for external water filtration?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 11:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The advantage of RO is cleaner better tasting water. The disadvantage is 3-4 gallons of waste water for every gallon of clean water. When boondocking the pump also has to run more.

Returning the unfiltered RO waste drinking water to the tank adds to the tanks contaminates which increases as the tank empties. So increased filter replacement. Most of the tank water however is used for other purposes like washing hands etc and doesn't go through the drinking water RO system.

So pros and cons to cleaner water. But maybe there are no cons - I have a RO system at home because I don't like the water taste... But there is the initial cost and filter replacement and my tank (bladder) failed once and the second tank is starting to fail.

Just my 2 cents...

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/21 11:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

TechWriter wrote:

Plus, you can plumb an RO system so that the waste water goes back into your water tank so there's no waste.

no issues with the "dirty" water going back into the tank?

Not really. RO systems have multiple stages: typically 2 or 3 filters (sediment, carbon block, etc), then the RO membrane itself, and finally post filters like "water polishing" or adding minerals.

The waste water or brine comes from the RO membrane so the water has already passed through filtration that most RVers use anyway.

If anything, the RO brine is hard water, not "dirty". TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) levels in ppm are usually used to measure RO system water quality. For example, one of my measurements was . . .

- "Fresh" (incoming) water: 242 ppm
- RO treated water: 34 ppm
- RO Brine: 202 ppm

Part Timer 2004 - 2013
Full Timer 2013 - 2020
Part Timing Again
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/21 11:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Returning the unfiltered RO waste drinking water to the tank adds to the tanks contaminates which increases as the tank empties. So increased filter replacement.

Depends where you put your RO pre-filters. Mine filtered water before, not after, the water hits the holding tank. So no strain on the filters.

DancinCampers

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/21 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run off my tanks exclusivly. A 10 Micron sediment filter, then a 5 micron sediment filter, then a 5 micron carbon filter, then a 100 gallon/day RO membrane.

In New Orleans I have 300 + PPM TDS in, 12 PPM out.

Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2006 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aventa II, SMI Silent Partner

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> What are you using for external water filtration?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.