cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thoughts on a MC Toad Trailer

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
I like to have a secondary means of transportation. In my case that means a motorcycle. At 77 its getting a little difficult to roll a 2-wheeler around so I'm looking at a Can-Am Ryker. The overall dimensions are 93" long x 60" wide so at a minimum it takes a 5'x8' trailer (a snug fit).
I currently have a car hauler trailer with a 16' long bed so I'm considering whether to purchase and purpose adapt an aluminum single axle 5'x8' trailer or use my existing trailer that has tandem axles. (Note that the little trailers come with 55 mph rated tires and sometimes, metric axles, so I'd have to upgrade the axle assembly for interstate travel.)
The Can-Am Ryker only weighs 620# so the car hauler trailer is overkill, but saving $2000 or so on the small trailer could offset quite a bit the addition cost of towing with the car hauler trailer but I don't have a handle on what the added cost might be.
Since the MC weighs so little is there anything to be gained by taking one of the car hauler trailer axles out of service, eliminating two tires on the ground (less rolling resistance, less tire scrub on turns)?
Your thoughts?
Currently Between RVs
7 REPLIES 7

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems like an 8' snowmobile trailer would probably work well.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

jergeod
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a tandemtow dolly I carry my spyder RS and my car makes it more convenient.
George & Jerri
USMC VET
Jayco Eagle 339 flqs
upstate NY

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Aluma TK1 that is specifically made for hauling a trike. I use it for my two-place ATV that is 10" longer than a standard ATV, but besides the length, I also like the stone guard and locking tool box. Only weighs 525 pounds, and costs about $3000.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
DougE wrote:

Since the MC weighs so little is there anything to be gained by taking one of the car hauler trailer axles out of service, eliminating two tires on the ground (less rolling resistance, less tire scrub on turns)?
Your thoughts?

Short answer, no.

Long answer, no.

Longer answer, if it's leaf sprung axles, then, not only no, but not possible without rebuilding the moveable spring mount. Not to mention which axle, are you going to relocate the one axle that's left, etc.

Back to short answer, no.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok--I usually tow a Smart car on a dolly which can also be used for our other front wheel drive vehicles. I also have a Featherlite open trailer with a 20ft bed which I can carry everything from the Smart to our 4 door Ford pick up. Use the trailer you have like it is, you already have it, its a waste of time to modify it, and it costs you nothing......you will be glad you did.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would get a minimum of 6 foot by 10 foot trailer. A little trailer that the bike "just fits" on would rapidly become a nuisance to me.
It has been my experience that a tandem axle trailer is easier to back up than a single axle unit. Of course, that may be my problem and nobody else in the world has encountered it.
Good luck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Around here, there are plenty of used single axle motorcycle/utility trailers for around $500. Something like that would be much easier to maneuver and store at a campsite. Look on Craigslist and facebook Market place
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard