Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: BradW's photo links on the Truck Camper Forum
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> BradW's photo links on the Truck Camper Forum

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the last 20 years I have posted 1,000's of photo links on the RV.net TC forum. Everything from how to disassemble a Rancho 9000 shock to vacation photos. All those photos were hosted on Fototime.com. I never had a single problem with Fototime in 20 years, but they are all gone now. A couple of weeks ago Fototime ceased operations for mostly unexplained reasons (possible due to the big French sever farm fire). So, if you are looking at one of my posts and the photo is "unavailable", it ain't RV.net and it ain't your computer; it's a broken photo link that will never come back. Sorry folks.

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear that.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BUMMER!
That is a HUGE loss to the TC community...!

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sadly, you cannot rely on paid or free services to retain your pictures or data. If you do not keep a backup yourself, you may lose those files forever. I am currently dealing with some backup failures myself even on the local level. Luckily I have the original files, but my alternate location died...

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/21 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam is correct...cannot rely on these photo sites.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

Sadly, you cannot rely on paid or free services to retain your pictures or data. If you do not keep a backup yourself, you may lose those files forever. I am currently dealing with some backup failures myself even on the local level. Luckily I have the original files, but my alternate location died...

The photos I had on Fototime go back 20 years. I don't know how many photos I had on there, but I would estimate about 8,000 to 12,000. I never relied on Fototime as a secure backup. I'm pretty sure I still have 99% of those photos on multiple backup locations/devices.

What bugs me are all the dead links out there now. I use the internet to research many things and I hate finding the perfect thread/post only to see the photo link is dead. I was just on a welding forum and a guy had a link to the Victor tip chart showing the acetylene flow rate for each tip size/pressure. Must have been there in 2006, but gone now. [emoticon]

I still have the photos, but there is no way to go back and fix all the dead links.

ORbiker

Springfield, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/21 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BradW wrote:

Over the last 20 years I have posted 1,000's of photo links on the RV.net TC forum. Everything from how to disassemble a Rancho 9000 shock to vacation photos. All those photos were hosted on Fototime.com. I never had a single problem with Fototime in 20 years, but they are all gone now. A couple of weeks ago Fototime ceased operations for mostly unexplained reasons (possible due to the big French sever farm fire). So, if you are looking at one of my posts and the photo is "unavailable", it ain't RV.net and it ain't your computer; it's a broken photo link that will never come back. Sorry folks.

Hi Brad
Photobucket did the same thing to me.
I have been posting on many forums and poof the photos are gone unless you pay them lots of money.

Thanks for all the help years ago when I first got our Citation camper. I learned everything about that camper and how to do this and that rving stuff. KEN

Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 11:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember when photo bucket did that. They caused a lot of damage. People say photo bucket is back, but I would never trust them after the stunt they pulled.

This forum has always been an excellent source for information.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 03:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very sad indeed...
@BradW: one such link is in your sig line.
The fototime outage seems to match the time of the french fire. If only someone had told them that techniology exists to safeguard data - at a cost... Maybe then it would not have been "beyond their control".

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don’t loose ALL hope just yet.

A catastrophic data center fire, even one that destroys every last server and piece of physical infrastructure, SHOULD NOT result in the total loss of all the data IF each and every responsible party had an adequate disaster recovery plan in place. DR can cost a lot of money though, and I can imagine it gets skimped on, or even eliminated entirely in some web services environments.

At the minimum, Fototime’s DR plan should have resulted in backup images existing in multiple off-site locations. Assuming the server farm fire is the reason that Fototime is down, the immediate question is whether there is the ability to stand up new equipment in a new location that the backup images could be restored onto. Assuming backup images even exist, of course.

It’s inconceivable that the people making the decisions at Fototime would be unaware of the DR options available to them. What they would also be keenly aware of is the cost of those services. They can easily double your cost of operations while adding nothing to revenue and profits.

The message on their domain doesn’t sound hopeful:

“ On March 10, due to circumstances beyond our control, FotoTime suffered a catastrophic outage. This outage effected both the infrastructure and data. Regretably, due to this outage, FotoTime has ceased operations.

We would like to thank all of our customers for supporting us all of these years.

This difficult decision to cease operations was the only option available to us. ”

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> BradW's photo links on the Truck Camper Forum
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.