cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Poop in outside sink

kmdiddy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Keystone Laredo with an outside sink. I have owned the rig for 3 years. I took it out for the first trip of the season and after towing it seems that I am getting black water tank contents coming into the outside kitchen sink. I understand its fairly common for there to be a sink plumbed to the black water tank.

My thought is that my waterless trap has gone bad and is allowing black water to come back into the sink. Luckily it has remained in the sink and not come out all over the kitchen. It makes for a pretty terrible smell in the camper when we get to our destination. I have also now noticed a foul smell coming from the sink even when not in tow.

Is this a common failure? Any recommendations on a better waterless trap?
29 REPLIES 29

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, 35 years of RVing and had no idea a sink of any kind was tied into a sh** tank....how naive is that?

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Fidel Gastro wrote:
cougar28 wrote:
I don't ever recall any sink being plumbed into a black water tank on a rv. Either something else is happening or it plumbed wrong.

It's done on some floorplans with outside kitchens either because it was required to be done or the builder took the cheap route. In the case of Keystone RV they always take the cheap route and have always done so. This is one sheety situation is it not lol?
When it comes to RVs,,,, the rule is, "there are no rules."
From the factory my kitchen sink drained into the 1/2 bath black tank.

I added a seperate grey tank for the kitchen sink
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Fidel_Gastro
Explorer
Explorer
cougar28 wrote:
I don't ever recall any sink being plumbed into a black water tank on a rv. Either something else is happening or it plumbed wrong.

It's done on some floorplans with outside kitchens either because it was required to be done or the builder took the cheap route. In the case of Keystone RV they always take the cheap route and have always done so. This is one sheety situation is it not lol?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Some of yโ€™all are just insufferableโ€ฆ.
Or refuse to read. Not sure which
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
kellem wrote:
Highly doubt a sink is tied into black tank, no way.
What your experiencing is hot temps and grey tank is extinguishing odor.
Our grey tank is just as pungent as black tank during hot months.

Just dump a cup of bleach into kitchen sink and let it slosh around during travel......we've found it's always the dish water vs shower water incase you have 2 gray tanks.

Sinks sometimes ARE plumbed into the black tank. My previous Winnebago MH had the bathroom sink plumbed like that. Made adding water to the black tank a cinch. Just turn on the bathroom sink tap.

Don't mistake the fact that you have never seen it as it is never done.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Highly doubt a sink is tied into black tank, no way.
What your experiencing is hot temps and grey tank is extinguishing odor.
Our grey tank is just as pungent as black tank during hot months.

Just dump a cup of bleach into kitchen sink and let it slosh around during travel......we've found it's always the dish water vs shower water incase you have 2 gray tanks.

kmdiddy
Explorer
Explorer
Little update here...got everything fixed up and also installed a metal tail-piece so they can't get into my trap again. I see all the messages about sinks tied to the black water tank and it was odd to me as well but now that I know, I followed another's post that indicated they turn the outside sink on before pulling out to put more water in the black water tank. I used to sit there with my foot on the toilet supply to add water...SO MUCH EASIER NOW. As indicated, the more water in the black water tank...much easier to get a clean dump! Thanks for everyone's post here!

mudhound
Explorer
Explorer
gross!! Sounds fixable
:C

God Bless

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
cougar28 wrote:

Quite common on Class C's and Class A's. On trailers, it wouldn't surprise me in a half-bath.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
My motorhome was plumbed with the bathroom sink going into the black tank. I used a dishpan in the kitchen sink and carried it back and dumped it in the bathroom too. Lots of water in the black tank makes it much easier to get a good through dump of the black tank.

Indeed, many RVs are done this way, for good reason.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
falconbrother wrote:
Sinks drain into the grey tank. How is it possible for black tank contents to enter any sink or bathtub? The black tank sits under the pooper.. Nothing else runs into it.

If you will read the entire thread, you will see that some sinks, indeed, do drain into the black tank. My first RV had one plumbed that way.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
blaczero wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I would be looking at putting a regular ball valve on that drain. Open when parked and in use. Otherwise close it.
a ball valve on PVC drain? Never seen that.
1.25" or 1.5" is available at any decent hardware store.
I would not trust a stopper.
RV gate valve would be fine too.

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
camperfamily wrote:
falcon brother, some sinks do indeed drain into the black tank. Seems to go against logic of grey/black separated tanks but its done.

Seems to me some black tank drain into sinks also! LOL
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
falcon brother, some sinks do indeed drain into the black tank. Seems to go against logic of grey/black separated tanks but its done.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch