cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bear Spray

pulpwood007
Explorer
Explorer
This may not be the best place on the forum to ask this question, but could anyone suggest a particular brand of bear spray. I have a trip to Yellowstone scheduled and would like to purchase a can before leaving home.

While we don't do remote hiking anymore, I would still feel better about having some kind of defense should a bear accidentally appear. I'm sure there are some brands better than others.
41 REPLIES 41

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Black Bears that we have in MN tend to be shy. If you accidentally come up on one you will have a second to pull out the bear spray and use it. If you do the bear will leave.

Of course the best bet is to make enough noise you don't accidentally come up on the bear but, I could see how it could happen. I don't make a lot of noise as I hike. Accidents can happen.

That being said, usually standing as tall as possible, putting up your arms, and making a blood curing scream will scare them away too. I would have no problem with that last part. If I ever saw a bear if would happen naturally. I would probably "mark my territory" at the same time.

Grizzly bears are a whole different kettle of fish. If you are cooking a kettle of fish around them and they want it,, just give it to them.

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
If you did not need your bear spray then save it. It makes great hot wings. It contains cayenne pepper.

Never spray a bear with expired bear spray. If the bear gets sick it may sue you.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
The best and most effective bear deterrent continues to be the use of one's noggin to stay situationally aware.
It's this time of year (continuing for the next 6 weeks or so) when we routinely have bear encounters between trail runners and bears: why?
....'cause the runner says "Oh, it's great to finally be able to use XYZ trail after its been blocked by snow all winter." Unfortunately, hungry mama bear with a cub or two is thinking the exact same thing.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot suggest a brand..nor even their use.A week ago or so another report of someone outdoors, a Hunter, I think, used his bear spry, the trigger or switch was pulled and residue on his clothing indicated some blew back on him. He was killed by a Grizzly.
it is chic or in fashion to reject firearms by some and we won't get into that.
I will not go into the woods, knowing their are cougars, and bears,.. and coyotes and wolves and in some areas elk, moose, and deer in rutting season or with young at their side except for deer, without a firearm!
Sound logic and reasoning dictates this.
Pepper spray does not work even when the bear etc gets sprayed in the always. Success in survival is everything. There is no do over!

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many, many years ago I did a survival course designed to help pilots survive a crash.

I still recall the instructorโ€™s bit about bears;

They run at 35 mph, thatโ€™s (35 times 5,280) 184,800 feet an hour, which is 3,080 feet per minute, which is a little over FIFTY ONE FEET PER SECOND.

Bear spray???

Bwaahaahaahaaaaaa. Yeah, right.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Think about it. If the bear is so close that you can reach it with bear spray you are already in deep trouble.

Noise. They won't like noise. Especially a very loud noise that they are not familiar with.

We carry a boat air horn
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

pulpwood007
Explorer
Explorer
As the OP I want to thank everyone for the comments. I feel I have the info I need and will pick up some spray just in case.

After some research I have found the likelihood of a bear attack in Yellowstone is remote.

Since 1979, more than 118 million people visited Yellowstone National Park. During this period, 44 people were injured by bears in the park, according to park numbers. Youโ€™re just as likely to be zapped by lightening or drown in a boiling-hot thermal pool. There have only been eight reported deaths since the park opened 142 years ago.

I will not be hiking in remote areas, and in fact will probably be only in populated scenic areas. It sounds like I have a higher probability of being injured in a vehicle wreck on my way there!

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
ssthrd wrote:
Food for thought...........

Bear Spray

Unfortunately, the man died.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Food for thought...........

Bear Spray
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be careful if you try to test the spray. I watched someone shoot an expired unit. The wind blew back a very small amount of the spray and he was incapacitated. On a still day, I suspect a canister if bear spray could stop a herd of charging elephants.

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
Have the Counter Assault though I haven't tried them yet.

SHRED
Explorer
Explorer
We carry spray for hiking in bear country and motorhome security. ๐Ÿ™‚
2021 27' Lazy Daze mid bath

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
We worked Yellowstone/Canyon Village in 2011. That was the year with 2 fatalities 3 miles from us within a month or so apart.
Another day, a guy came in to buy replacement can as he had just used it on a bear.

Buy spray before you get in the Park. It will be more expensive inside Park.

This is our 3rd year at Grand Teton N.P. At Colter Bay. Talk about daily sightings of bears!!

Bear bells are a waste of $$. They are just not loud enough!! Just listen when you pass someone who wears them, how inaudible they really are!
If you don't want to spend the $ on bear spray, at least talk, sing, call out loudly as you are walking ANYWHERE there is a tree.
Bear spray works on angry Moose, angry elk, angry buffalo too...

2g_s
Explorer
Explorer
Forget bear bells.... the rangers laugh at the idea.

You should be more afraid of bison attacks than grizzlies in Yellowstone. Don't get close... they can move fast.

Bear spray can be rented in Yellowstone.

Here's a good article:

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/bearspray.htm