cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter/ Furnace Issue

CPCole
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Starcraft 336 RESA TT. My issue is that if I have my furnace and my converter running at the same time when connect to shore power or my generator the furnace or the converter makes a grinding sound like there is something caught in the blades. While the furnace is running just on battery it is fine. If it is running and I flip the breaker to turn the converter on the noise comes back. I then shut off the heat and the noise goes away.

So the bottom line is that when both are running it is very loud grinding type noise and if one or the other is turned off it is quiet. Anyone ever come across this wired issue? Thanks in advance.
11 REPLIES 11

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you are plugged into 110 volts and convector is on all 12 volt stuff will run on converter and the converter will charge the battery up . I can think of no reason to turn converter off and on .

CPCole
Explorer
Explorer
I only shut the converter off to try and figure this out. The trailer is new to me and trying to get all the small stuff worked out before the season really starts. The battery is only 2 weeks old but I will charge it and make sure it's 100%. The weird thing is that if the furnace is just running on battery with no shore power it's fine. Thank you.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before ya tear any thing out check the battery . Why do you shut the converter off . Most leave them on forever ! It could be that your battery is low on voltage !

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have to think this one through.
Low battery would operate fan at a lower speed when and if converter is putting out full voltage. So power may not be issue.
If fan blade is loose or out of round, higher speed from converter power could make fan blade wobble more hitting housing.
Make and model of furnace?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
CPCole wrote:
So I just did a bit more investigating and when the furnace is on and I am on shore power the furnace is making the noise and the converter fan is not running, so I think it's just the furnace doing it. When just on battery power it's fine. I'm gonna have to try and pull the furnace out.
Be interesting to find out just what the issue is\,
as it makes no sense to me.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

CPCole
Explorer
Explorer
So I just did a bit more investigating and when the furnace is on and I am on shore power the furnace is making the noise and the converter fan is not running, so I think it's just the furnace doing it. When just on battery power it's fine. I'm gonna have to try and pull the furnace out.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Make and model of the converter will help identifying your issue
Sounds like the converter is failing!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

CPCole
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer is new to me and I am in the process of learning about all the systems on it. I am going to check it out more tomorrow to see if I can isolate it more. Thanks.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
What converter do you have? I think you should consider removing and giving an inspection.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Furnace is high DC draw....converter is trying to maintain battery charge AND provide the DC System

Have you checked the batteries.........water level, cables
Have you checked the DC Fuse Panel Converter cable connections, battery connections on that fuse panel

Noise is probably coming from converter cooling fan.....demand goes up/heats/dirty--worn fan motor---noise.
Demand goes down/cools off
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of converters have a fan on them to help them stay cool. With the furnace running the converter is working harder and then the fan will start. It may be that the cooling fan on the converter is going bad, or , if your lucky it just has something stuck in it.