Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: LiFePo4 vs Lead Acid...Some points of interest.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > LiFePo4 vs Lead Acid...Some points of interest.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next
Freep

Wisconsin

Senior Member

Joined: 04/14/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/14/21 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:



Lifepo4...

I expected, because I've read, that the volt meters for lead acid were not accurate with lithium,not from what I've seen so far...I haven't drawn it down below 50% yet but above that ,there all the spot on but only in tenths for the standard volt meters..It would be interesting to them then compared in the hundreths where lifepo4 volt readings should be compared to the charts..

Just for a general idea of SOC,there very accurate to the tenth.


That is odd. You're right, the volt meters for lead should not be correct with LFP.


Here's a LiFePo4 voltage chart

[image]

Here's a lead chart
[image]


2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

3 tons

NV.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/13/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/14/21 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If those are your only specific grievances Sir (curiously deplete of important context...) then I’m completely unaware of any attempts whatsoever to ‘personally malign’ you...

Remarks should be considered within their proper context ...Making such ‘a claim’ shouldn’t be taken lightly, nor does it make it a actual fact - if such was the case, I could then wantonly counter that a ‘cavalier accusation’ made somehow equals a reverse maligning, but admittedly that kinda point for point gamesmanship (as occasionally occurs with a few ‘argument-centric’ forum post) would be plain silliness.... Just my level best opinion only...

3 tons

Freep

Wisconsin

Senior Member

Joined: 04/14/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/14/21 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

If those are your only specific grievances Sir (curiously deplete of important context...) then I’m completely unaware of any attempts whatsoever to ‘personally malign’ you...

Remarks should be considered within their proper context ...Making such ‘a claim’ shouldn’t be taken lightly, nor does it make it a actual fact - if such was the case, I could then wantonly counter that a ‘cavalier accusation’ made somehow equals a reverse maligning, but admittedly that kinda point for point gamesmanship (as occasionally occurs with a few ‘argument-centric’ forum post) would be plain silliness.... Just my level best opinion only...

3 tons


Please stop.

jaycocreek

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 12/28/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/14/21 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just went out and checked the voltages...The only thing plugged into the battery is my Engel compressor fridge...The built in voltage meter on my battery box read 13.3 volts and the simple socket volt meter read 13.2 volts and the Victron......

[image]

Freep

Wisconsin

Senior Member

Joined: 04/14/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/14/21 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh I misunderstood you, Jaycocreek. I thought you meant one of these:

[image]

3 tons

NV.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/13/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/14/21 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freep wrote:

3 tons wrote:

If those are your only specific grievances Sir (curiously deplete of important context...) then I’m completely unaware of any attempts whatsoever to ‘personally malign’ you...

Remarks should be considered within their proper context ...Making such ‘a claim’ shouldn’t be taken lightly, nor does it make it a actual fact - if such was the case, I could then wantonly counter that a ‘cavalier accusation’ made somehow equals a reverse maligning, but admittedly that kinda point for point gamesmanship (as occasionally occurs with a few ‘argument-centric’ forum post) would be plain silliness.... Just my level best opinion only...

3 tons


Please stop.


Absolutely, once again we are in concurrence....

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/14/21 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freep wrote:

Oh I misunderstood you, Jaycocreek. I thought you meant one of these:

[image]
Ever make the effort to discover the set points?

Mine would seem to take lead-acid well below 50% while implying nothing to worry about.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

3 tons

NV.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/13/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/14/21 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

For what it's worth,,I have checked the Victron smart shunt against the volt meter on my battery box and the silly cheap plug in meter that goes in a socket,and there all the same,every time I check but only in tenths..

I figured they would be different from everything I've read,but there not...


This is fairly normal, volts-to-volts is pretty simple for a meter to determine, a small discrepancy (particularly with digital displays) in not at all unusual...SOC’s with LFP’s is a bit trickier - this is where you’ll come to appreciate a good SOC meter...Your Victron is one, though I’m sure there are others...

3 tons

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 04/14/21 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freep wrote:

3 tons,


For example, the problem the engineer in the video you posted is talking about is a problem that doesn't really exist in our application. Also the charge/discharge curve he's using as an example is not nearly as flat as a LiFePo4 curve. The drop off in current is going to be less than the 20% mark where you shouldn't be discharging anyway.



in the discharge curve you wont get a drop in current as the appliance?load is still going to draw the same amount of watts so as the voltage drop you will actualy draw more current untill you hit the point which the battery cant keep up, its usaly dead at that point.

Several capacity tests on LFP batteries have showen this.

Steve


2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 04/14/21 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

,From learned experience my position is “you usually get what you’re willing to pay for” (Victron $$).. But at least you’ve arrived at the conclusion that there IS the possibility of errors with straight coulomb counting, so we’ve made progress, eh [emoticon] , and kudo’s to you Sir if your favorite meter (unknown to me) is meeting all your expectations - sounds like you’ve saved a few bucks too!!... For ‘evidence’ you might try litigation...,


3 tons


I disagree here, I do agree the Victron is good, but I dont agree they are worth the price. there are so many unit that use the exact same software/hardware out there for less than 1/4 the price. back in the day they used to be the best, not there just riding on there old name and trying to justify prices that are 400% more than they should be.

Steve

* This post was edited 04/14/21 07:47pm by StirCrazy *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > LiFePo4 vs Lead Acid...Some points of interest.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.