Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: LiFePo4 vs Lead Acid...Some points of interest.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> LiFePo4 vs Lead Acid...Some points of interest.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next
Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWC wrote:

There are a couple of features that make the Victron more accurate than many of the cheap-o monitors:

For lithium, an important feature is automatic syncing - you can program into the Victron what your fully charged voltage and tail current is, thus when you know the battery is full, the monitor automatically syncs SOC to 100%. This compensates for integral errors, which are always an issue with Ah meters/coulomb counters.

The AiLi does this.

2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The AiLi I bought would only auto reset to 0% SOC when the battery goes below a certain voltage threshold. This is neither logical or useful.

AiLi Manual - see page 5

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freep wrote:

FWC wrote:

There are a couple of features that make the Victron more accurate than many of the cheap-o monitors:

For lithium, an important feature is automatic syncing - you can program into the Victron what your fully charged voltage and tail current is, thus when you know the battery is full, the monitor automatically syncs SOC to 100%. This compensates for integral errors, which are always an issue with Ah meters/coulomb counters.

The AiLi does this.

Huh??....Show ME the ‘Evidence’ !! - lol [emoticon]

3 tons

Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

Freep wrote:

FWC wrote:

The AiLi does this.

Huh??....Show ME the ‘Evidence’ !! - lol [emoticon]

3 tons

The snark and derision is unnecessary.

https://www.rvhabit.com/post/installing-........ll-function-rv-battery-monitor-from-aili

https://static.wixstatic.com/ugd/659bdd_c04e5a349924435bbfb69ed054b065ff.pdf

Actually you're setting your zero capacity voltage point rather than the full, but it's for the same purpose and of course your capacity.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“ The snark and derision is unnecessary.”??...Snark, How so ?? (apparently only when I use your same words??)..I really don’t get it - I guess I forgot to check the box for a ‘sensitivities waiver’...[emoticon]

3 tons, in the High NV Desert, where sensitivities are not a currency

Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

“ The snark and derision is unnecessary.”??...Snark, How so ?? (apparently only when I use your same words??)..I really don’t get it - I guess I forgot to check the box for a ‘sensitivities waiver’...[emoticon]

3 tons, in the High NV Desert, where sensitivities are not a currency

Please stop.

FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freep wrote:

https://www.rvhabit.com/post/installing-........ll-function-rv-battery-monitor-from-aili

Actually you're setting your zero capacity voltage point rather than the full, but it's for the same purpose and of course your capacity.

Ignoring the bickering, resetting at zero SOC isn't useful. Most folks rarely run their battery down to 0% SOC as it greatly shortens the life (lead) or risks a BMS shutdown (lithium), and in general you want some reserve capacity (both). So in practice this does not actually do anything.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, for the record Sir I never once knocked your AiLi meter, and even stated that I was not familiar with it...But then (per your demand for ‘evidence’...) it was presumed to be incumbent on me to prove that Victron was any different that your Chinese made meter (huh??)...No doubt the Chinese have the ability to make good stuff, but owning a Victron, why should I care about comparing to a particular brand labeled AiLi, or any other brand??...There’s no need whatsoever to justify what works for you, in fact, having read the AiLi instruction link you’ve just provided, it says it’s suitable for Lithium so I take AiLi at their word, but you’d previously stated that it was strictly a coulomb counter, but that the error rate was only negligible - fair enough, but understand that I have no interest in disparaging the brand of your’s or anyone’s meter choice du jour..I did say for the broader audience that my former LinkLite had proven not compatible with LiFePO4, of which (for reasons unknown) you chose to casually dismiss as just a defective meter (Not!)...Seems (per your past pointed accusations) that you sought to call me out for ‘hidden reasons’, but it’s far better to just stick with tech matters, which is why we’re all here - JMHO

3 tons

Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWC wrote:

Freep wrote:

Ignoring the bickering, resetting at zero SOC isn't useful. Most folks rarely run their battery down to 0% SOC as it greatly shortens the life (lead) or risks a BMS shutdown (lithium), and in general you want some reserve capacity (both). So in practice this does not actually do anything.

I didn't even know about the zero setting since I used the 100% setting when the battery was full and it works fine.

Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

Well, for the record Sir I never once knocked your AiLi meter, and even stated that I was not familiar with it...But then (per your demand for ‘evidence’...) it was presumed to be incumbent on me to prove that Victron was any different that your Chinese made meter (huh??)...No doubt the Chinese have the ability to make good stuff, but owning a Victron, why should I care about comparing to a particular brand labeled AiLi, or any other brand??...There’s no need whatsoever to justify what works for you, in fact, having read the AiLi instruction link you’ve just provided, it says it’s suitable for Lithium so I take AiLi at their word, but you’d previously stated that it was strictly a coulomb counter, but that the error rate was only negligible - fair enough, but understand that I have no interest in disparaging the brand of your’s or anyone’s meter choice du jour..I did say for the broader audience that my former LinkLite had proven not compatible with LiFePO4, of which (for reasons unknown) you chose to casually dismiss as just a defective meter (Not!)...Seems (per your past pointed accusations) that you sought to call me out for ‘hidden reasons’, but it’s far better to just stick with tech matters, which is why we’re all here - JMHO

3 tons

OMG, just stop.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> LiFePo4 vs Lead Acid...Some points of interest.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.