cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

different axel width

bighonkinf350
Explorer
Explorer
What would the consequences be if any, on my 27' tandem axel travel trailer if the rear axel is 2" wider than the front axel ( 1 " on each side,if that makes sense.)

Had dealer replace a bent axel and this is what I'm dealing with for now.

Any useful advice or comments appreciated.
'04 F350,6.0 PSD,3.73,5 spd Torqshift,Lariat,CC,LB,SRW,Lund Lunar visor,Firestone Ride Rites,
2016 Nash 23D with Cummins/Onan onboard generator & Sit'n Sleep option
20 REPLIES 20

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bighonkinf350 wrote:
Dealer replaced the front axel today. Now have two new axels (matching set)for the price of one.
I'm a happy camper today.

That's cool, both axles are new, now!
So did the trailer have tracking issues rolling down the highway, as predicted above?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It is good that you got the issue resolved.
I would also not name the dealer that started the issue even though they corrected it.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bighonkinf350
Explorer
Explorer
The reason I haven't named the dealer is because they sent me home with the "problem axel" to begin with. Had I not taken the trailer back the very next day and pointed out the discrepancy nothing would have been done.

I'm very pleased they did resolve the issue at no additional cost but am skeptical because in my mind they had to, or should have known the difference
to begin with.
'04 F350,6.0 PSD,3.73,5 spd Torqshift,Lariat,CC,LB,SRW,Lund Lunar visor,Firestone Ride Rites,

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
bighonkinf350 wrote:
Dealer replaced the front axel today. Now have two new axels (matching set)for the price of one.

Nice, name the dealer please, always good to give praise when a dealer goes above and beyond.
It is a sad thing when a dealer does the right thing, and we all think it is above and beyond.

Our expectations have sunk to a ridiculous low level.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
bighonkinf350 wrote:

Nice, name the dealer please, always good to give praise when a dealer goes above and beyond.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

bighonkinf350
Explorer
Explorer

bighonkinf350
Explorer
Explorer
Update on my axel issue.

Dealer says another axel has been ordered and will replace the front one so we will have a matching set. Will update when it's done!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
This trailer was in commercial service and was checked by a big rig trailer repair shop. The accident while turning into a cafe.....was the raised concrete culvert pushed the right side wheel in and bent the spindle.

The big rig trailer repair shop that did the inspection told the company the trailer will have tracking issues.
The type work we did we had no reloads so the trip back to the yard was always with a empty trailer. I watched the trailer in my mirrors fight itself with slight/fast like a tail wag which was worse with the empty trailer.
Like I said try it. This particular trailer axles were farther aft than most other flatdeck trailer and rv trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
One of our drivers hit a culvert getting off the road and ruined the front axle. ...had a mobile tech swap the axle out. It was also too long. Being the only axle in west Kansas plus a loaded trailer needing delivery.. the company told him OK.
Well it wasn't OK.
The trailer wouldn't track the truck..

So, nothing from the accident could have caused the trailer issues, only the new axle?

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The easy fix is to get one inch spacers for the narrow axle. Spacers are very common in the off-roading world where they put 2 inch or more wide spacers on the vehicle wheels so their big wide tires will fit inside the truck. Should be no problem on a trailer.

Never use wheel spacers on a road trailer/high axle loads. Probably a non issue on a off road trailer that may never see lots of highway speed and high axle loading. BTDT and saw the results from other O/O's.
Trailer axles/wheels/hubs places all the weight between the inner and outer axle bearings unlike automotive wheel/hubs.
Also trailer axles/wheels/hubs have a whole lot more side stresses than a truck/car/suv.

The company I sub'd for had several GN flatdeck trailer when they first started their business. One of our drivers hit a culvert getting off the road and ruined the front axle. The trailer was loaded with freight but the driver got it up into a parking lot and had a mobile tech swap the axle out. It was also too long. Being the only axle in west Kansas plus a loaded trailer needing delivery.. the company told him OK.
Well it wasn't OK.
The trailer wouldn't track the truck. The =company said they wern't going to put more bucks into the trailer. I had the misfortune of taking a load with it on a 480 mile run. The trailer acted like it had half flat tires. How will the OP rig handle ?? Try it and see but watch the trailers tire wear.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
My big question remains in my head, why didn't they replace with the same axle as the one they removed.

X2!

However, I suspect one or several of the following reasons..

Miss measured, ordering the wrong length which most likely was not returnable.

Couldn't get the correct length quickly and bought the closest length they could find in stock.

Found one in the wrong length but it was deeply discounted pricing to the dealer.

While there are some common generic lengths, trailer frame manufacturers may have spec'd a certain odd length that is not typically stocked by an axle builder and is custom manufactured for that frame.. Those axles if you need to replace will have to be custom made by the axle builder and that takes time and may cost extra as a "one off" item.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Functionally, unless there's clearance issues, you won't experience any issues. Tandem axles scrub in tight turns and they'll scrub the same. Track width won't make a difference as it would in a driven axle.
JMO from what I know about trailers.
Did you tow it home? Any issues aside from appearance?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My big question remains in my head, why didn't they replace with the same axle as the one they removed.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as there's enough room for the tires to not rub anywhere, I doubt you'll even notice it, despite the naysayers.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD