cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting ready to roll!

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
It's been almost 6 months since my beloved DH (Teacher's Pet) died. I spent 6 weeks emptying and cleaning my 40' Phaeton, but I got it sold before Christmas. So happy for that. Since then I have been doing some projects around our "new to us" Florida home that we planned to do together.

Now I am getting ready for my first road trip. We were on the road for 15 years before we bought this house 1 year ago and I am getting hitch itch. I still have MinnieMee my R-Vision Trail-lite 213 and I'm getting her packed up. I had her to the mechanic after Terry died to have her checked out. All was good. She needs a bath, but I'm waiting for a really hot day for that.

I will drive across the state to my son's for the first night as they need me to babysit for one night while they attend a business function. Then I am heading north to Virginia to visit my daughter and her family. That will be bittersweet as that is where Terry died. But we are all moving ahead. Once I leave there, I am headed for Shipshewana as I need my refrigerator fixed. It works on gas, but not on electric. That's a switch, isn't it? When I switch it to electric, it just clicks. So it's prolly a relay or a switch and the Amish guy at National Refrigeration will fix it up at a fraction of what it would cost anywhere else. At least it is working great on gas.

From there, I will visit friends at Elkhart Campground, then head to Claypool, south of Warsaw, and camp in my sister's woods. My 95-year old Mom lives there in her own park model on my sister's place. My BIL is having prostate surgery in May and I plan to be there so I can be with Mom while my sister is busy with her husband. She has dogs also, so I will be able to let them out, etc., so she can concentrate on her DH. My Mom's birthday is June 4, so I am going to be there for that and then start back home to Florida.

I won't be towing anything and I don't plan to tow anymore. My sister has enough vehicles I can borrow if I need to, but MinnieMee is only 22 1/2 feet and no slides. I will just be hooked up to electric at my sister's, so it won't be hard to move if need be.

I am looking for a small motorhome to replace MinnieMee. She's in good shape with only 33,000 miles on her, but I want a different layout so I can take a grandchild with me. Looking at Coach House, Phoenix Cruiser, or Leisure Travel.

I have a new traveling companion. I am re-homing a 5 year old Scottish Terrier named Brendon and he does very well traveling. He is super mellow and enjoys just hanging out, so I think he will do very well on the trip. He loves people and other dogs, so he will enjoy the family we visit.

I joined a women's RVing group on FB. I found them and many are widows and many very recent widows like me. They do a lot of weekend camping here in Florida all year long, so I'm hoping to meet some like-minded individuals for some relaxing, healing times.

Take care and safe travels everyone!

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
8 REPLIES 8

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I am excited to here you are back in the game. I am inspired by your ability and desire to move forward. keep us posted enjoy the journey.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Drove from Florida to Virginia to visit with my daughter and her family. I left there Friday and stopped in Ohio to see our friends we went to Alaska with. I had Tab help me with some questions on the motorhome. Today I drove to Elkhart and am in the Elkhart Campground. Bobby, the owner, did not know Terry had died, so we chatted a bit. We have some very good friends and I asked if they were here yet and Bobby said they are coming in tomorrow! So he put me directly in front of them! Very nice concreted site.

Motorhome is performing admirably. So pleased with it. I have an appointment with the Amish guys in Shipshewana on Tuesday to fix my fridge. It works great on gas but won't run on electric. Go figure. LOL At least it's working!

I'm enjoying the traveling, even though I don't have my DH with me. I have my dog and I talk with him.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thumbs up to you Scottiemom.
Be safe in your travels!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you are getting on the road again! I know it's difficult to move forward, but sounds like you are pushing on. Your family will be your lifeline.

Enjoy your travels with Brendon!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you and Brendon have a wonderful trip!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
To this reader, and for your family, it doesn't seem that long ago. Looked like you're caring for yourself, your family, and your responsibilities to then, as part of this newness- and that sounds like a good balance. Stay safe all the time, but don't worry about being the strong one - as the tide ebbs and flows, there is peace in the rhythm.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dale, I remember . We both have been here together for a long time I admire your independence and strength to carry on .
When we get to Florida , we will look for a Scottish terrier playing the bagpipes. See you then, stay safe, best wishes,
Bob n Dot

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
It's great to read your post Dale. Happy travels to you and Brendon, and in finding a different rig.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton