cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Amirillo to Denver via 87-25?

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
Heading out 4/15 to the Grand Tetons. Yes we are watching any weather issues.
Comments on using 87-25 or going for the 287-70 route?
Thank you.
Nancy

(40' Motor home and tow)
5 REPLIES 5

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
GizmosMom wrote:
We have traveled 287 in the past. But instead of getting on IH-70, in Limon, we drove north on highway 71 to Brush. We then traveled west on highway 34 toward Greeley, then on to IH-25 north.
We avoided the Denver area.
(Greeley has many, many cattle pens so roll up your windows!)

Or....you could follow the advice about going up to Limon and then getting on CO 71 BUT no need to get off on US 34. Stay on CO 71, it continues north into Nebraska where it is still 71, and intersects with I-80. Avoids Denver AND all the smells of the feed lots outside of Greeley, and minimal traffic as well.

Well thank you both!
We are going to use both your suggestions. Watching weather, but we plan to leave Texas on Sunday and head towards Grand Teton.
Stopping at campgrounds on the way up and arriving on Friday if all goes well.
Nancy

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
GizmosMom wrote:
We have traveled 287 in the past. But instead of getting on IH-70, in Limon, we drove north on highway 71 to Brush. We then traveled west on highway 34 toward Greeley, then on to IH-25 north.

Or....you could follow the advice about going up to Limon and then getting on CO 71 BUT no need to get off on US 34. Stay on CO 71, it continues north into Nebraska where it is still 71, and intersects with I-80. Avoids Denver AND all the smells of the feed lots outside of Greeley, and minimal traffic as well.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both would work well, as mentioned above there are other routes as well. Biggest issue (we have a 40' rig) is these Spring winds that tend to roar more than ever this time of year. On those especially windy days we get an early start in hope of avoiding the worst part which usually occurs mid to late afternoon, in any event we just drive a bit slower during these scenarios. Have a great trip, been a few years since we made the trek to the Grand Tetons.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We have taken US 87 to I-25 and north as far as Walsenburg many times and it is an easy drive and good road. Not much traffic and not many towns to slow you down.

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge