Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Follow up Solar Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Follow up Solar Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Katdaddy

Petal, MS USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Besides the controller's spec for connection sequence for whatever reason to do with that controller, any "12/24" controller wants you to connect to the battery first so it can "see" whether your system is 12v or 24v before it is connected to the array

Yep! I learned this the hard way. I did it backwards and the controller was reading for 24v. I thought I had torn it up right off the bat.

Little by little, one travels far - J.R.R. Tolkien
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain

PerryB67

Lanesboro, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A year ago we purchased a Renogy 100 watt suitcase. From talking to other suitcase users the wires will be too short to reach sunlight. We have three 15' 10 gauge Zamp cables with SAE plugs. Renogy provided us the proper SAE adapters for our portable.

I thought I'd never use 45' of cable until two months ago in Chiricahua National Monument. We were there for 7 days in cold weather. The furnace blower is our biggest user, and despite 220 amps (110 useable) we would have killed the batteries without 45' of cable.

When running 45' of 10g cable you want the controller inside the camper, as close to the batteries as possible. 18 volts can get by on a smaller wire than 12 volts.

We installed a Victron 110/20 controller with an SAE port on the outside of the camper leading to the controller. Between the batteries and controller I installed a 20 amp fuse that can also double as a disconnect.

Enjoy,

Perry

2018 Escape 5.0
2019 F150 Max Tow, Max Springs, 3.5 EB Quad Cab

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Follow up Solar Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.