cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cortez, CO RV parks?

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of heading to south west Colorado for a few days next month. Plan on riding the Durango/Silverton train, visiting Mesa Verde if it's open, day trip to Telluride and anything else that's in the area.

Any recommendations for full hookup RV parks?
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)
17 REPLIES 17

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
WE-C-USA wrote:
Two Hands wrote:
We stayed at the campground inside Mesa Verde National Park. It was a very large campground but there were only 15 or so full hookup sites.

Does the lifetime senior pass still get the 50% off sites, inside the National Park?

No discount at the Morefield Campground in the park. Under a private concessionaire operation.

Also, fuel up outside the park and have a full tank when going in. The fuel inside the park is significantly higher than outside. Best bet is to fuel up in either Cortez or Mancos. The stations outside by the entrance are also much higher in price. You'll be doing a lot of driving inside the park as it's deceptive the distances between the cliff dwelling sites.

Really Good advice above - also might add - this may be a great time to visit - might beat the crowds by just a bit.

JMHO,

Note - info here - https://www.nps.gov/meve/planyourvisit/camping2.htm
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Another Sun Dance there is a large park a few blocks N. I was lucky enough they had a balloon festival se walked to. The parks very nice w/ the balloons.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
WE-C-USA wrote:
Two Hands wrote:
We stayed at the campground inside Mesa Verde National Park. It was a very large campground but there were only 15 or so full hookup sites.

Does the lifetime senior pass still get the 50% off sites, inside the National Park?

No discount at the Morefield Campground in the park. Under a private concessionaire operation...

Not true. We stayed two nights in August 2020 and received the discount.

Just checked, this is from the reservations web page:
https://www.visitmesaverde.com/lodging-camping/morefield-campground/

"National Park Service Senior/Access Pass Policy

Passes are applicable to all camping. Discount will be applied only to campsite occupied by the person to whom the passport has been issued."
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the Cortez KOA...we were very satisfied with it. Went to Mesa Verde, nearby...very interesting to walk through the different "rooms".

We took a day trip to a ghost town (Animas Forks) near Silverton. Just a few buildings, one a house with a huge bay window, but the snow was so deep we couldn't reach them.

I love ghost towns, but the drive to this town was terrifying to me...one lane road right into the side of a mountain...about 12,000.
Definitely not for the faint of heart, like me!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
WE-C-USA wrote:
Two Hands wrote:

No discount at the Morefield Campground in the park. Under a private concessionaire operation.

Also, fuel up outside the park and have a full tank when going in. The fuel inside the park is significantly higher than outside. Best bet is to fuel up in either Cortez or Mancos. The stations outside by the entrance are also much higher in price. You'll be doing a lot of driving inside the park as it's deceptive the distances between the cliff dwelling sites.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:

Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
In Delores is Priest Gulch CG. One of our favorites. Beautiful trees, grass and a big river. A little pricey but worth it.
Betsy

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Look around Delores. Away from the Durango madness.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Westview rv resort in 145 right before Cortez is a very nice park.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

lewisr
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
In Mancos, CO I stayed at Mesa Verde RV Resort. Nice. Don't know how close that is to your planned destination.

We stayed here as well. Nice park, very convenient to Mesa Verde.
'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have reservations at Sundance and it appears they now take credit cards. Cannot say how god or bad it is, just the fact that they no longer require cash payment.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
Right by Mesa Verde in addition to the cg in the park you have Mesa Verde RV Resort, Ancient Cedars Mesa Verde RV Park and just up the road just east of Mancos Echo Basin Cabins and RV Resort. There are a few others in and right around Cortez. Sundance and Koa come to mind as previously mentioned
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Never stayed there so really can not give a true recommendation. I hope its ok as I am spending 4 days there next month. Thats the KOA at Cortez, I am not really a KOA fan but this one had all we were looking for.

Good Luck safe travels
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
In Mancos, CO I stayed at Mesa Verde RV Resort. Nice. Don't know how close that is to your planned destination.