Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Stupid question about tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Stupid question about tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any shop that does not use a dryer in their line is seriously ruining air tools.

H2O vapor will not become a problem until tire temperature reached 212F, and at that point, you have much bigger issues than potential pressure changes caused by water.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/21 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Water vapor not near the dew point does indeed act as an ideal gas, for practical purposes.

Air from a compressor (at least in somewhat humid climates), if there is no dryer in the line, will be saturated and pretty close to the dew point at the tank pressure, as evidenced by the condensation that collects in the compressor tank. Tire pressure is lower than the tank pressure, which lowers the pressure dew point in the tire somewhat, but it's still well in the range of ambient conditions that a tire is likely to be exposed to.

While rubber is somewhat more permeable to water than to air, it's still a very slow process for it to get out. (It's still more permeable to carbon dioxide, and it takes a long time for a tire filled with that to deflate noticeably.)

I have flipped a lot of tires back in the day when it paid my rent. Never any moisture ever. Tires are always dry inside. This in the 1980s when no attention was paid to use nitrogen, use an air drier, separator or filter. Just compress to 175 psi and fill the tire to 32. Drain the shop compressor when it seems to be short cycling. No perception of moisture in the tires.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just use compressed air - and you will need some goof-off to remove those dumb stickers...

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everything you never wanted to know about using Nitrogen in tires.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 TriZinger, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/21 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm just curious...how much do they charge to put nitrogen in your tires. Anybody know?? Do they meter it? Flat fee?
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- 65 Nights

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/21 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on the shop - some are free, some charge a couple bucks. I think I paid $5 a tire a number of years back, but have never paid since as other places are free. Although I have only done it twice and the last was Costco which was included with the tires. But the tires were cheaper at Costco vs Discount Tire.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Stupid question about tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.