cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ixtapa Trailer Park

Talleyho69
According to the local news sources, there was no one using the park, "for several months," but over the Easter holiday, there was a "significant" number of people using it, including tents, trailers and RV's.

Hopefully this means that there is hope. The news article also mentioned that there had/have been discussions of changing the place from an RV park, but that this may stop those.

Here is the GoogleTranslate version of the article: After several months without receiving tourism of any kind, the facilities of the Ixtapa Trailer Park operated by Fonatur, registered an increase in the influx during this Easter holiday period, especially from national visitors.
Sources revealed that during the weekend the 60 percent capacity allowed by the authorities was reached and for this Easter week, the presence of visitors represents 36 percent.
Inside you can see people with their tents, as well as campers and buses, who choose this lodging option located in the Linda beach area.
This rebound in use leaves an incentive for Fonatur because even long before the pandemic, the Trailer Park was already operating in the red, without being attractive to tourists.
It had even been contemplated that the federal agency or, if possible, could be concessioned to an individual to become a beach club.
When the health emergency arrived, in principle there were damages but after the reopening of the beaches little by little the visitors again turned to see this modality because it does not concentrate the same number of people as a normal hostelry.
From this moment on, Fonatur hopes that the preference for the Trailer Park will continue to increase, to assess whether resources are invested in improving this concept of accommodation or giving it another twist.

Maybe there is hope for it!!! I'll post any more information that appears.
35 REPLIES 35

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
ay yai yai.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to consider is the emergence of a dominant non lethal mutation. It is sometimes speculated that that is what ended the 1918 pandemic. It is not in the intersts of the virus to kill its host.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
One is too many.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
True enough, but it is still a big risk for emergence of dangerous mutations.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
"My gut feeling as well, but what is happening in India is alarming."

Please keep in mind that India's population is 1.19 billion people. On average 26,000+ people die every day in India compared to 8,000 people dying every day in the US. 2021 population of the United States is 332 million people - a fraction of the number of people in India.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
gtla9111 wrote:
I wonder how many people on this forum are aware of the policy changes this president has made and that we are definitely headed for a populist or dictatorial government. Censorship has been in place now for over two years and he has made constitutional reforms that are affecting Mexico's economy and the environment.

.....policies that have now turned the state of Guanajuato into the most dangerous in the world

I suspect that no one knows this here.

Also, the State of Guanajuato is a surface transportation (strategic) chokepoint for almost all surface goods and people traveling North/South through Mexico. I could see why, um, "special interests" would want to control "it".

I suspect that tourism will remain roughly the same as it is now (well, as it was pre-pandemic). My experience living in Mexico (and Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua) taught me that as dictatorial regimes flourish, the currencies of the affected countries crash, and that open opportunities for phenomenally cheap vacationing and snowbirding. However, there is a double-edged sword (correlate) when this happens: ....the cheaper tourism gets (as a result of widespread State instability), the more risk the traveler has to assume.

Anyhow, that has been my experience living (and, working) in Latin America for close to a decade. YMMV.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I dom't know about anyone else but I feel I've been in bad zombie apocalypse movie

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Politics aside.... when a President wishes a return to normalcy from the interminable siege we've experienced - that's a good thing in my opinion.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I wonder how many people on this forum are aware of the policy changes this president has made and that we are definitely headed for a populist or dictatorial government. Censorship has been in place now for over two years and he has made constitutional reforms that are affecting Mexico's economy and the environment.

He touts his social programs, but all of those programs existed long before him but under different names. He is a vengeful person who is seeking revenge from those politicians who wouldn't, out of fear for the country allow him to play. He is an exact copy of Hugo Chavez and is following the seven steps of dictatorship as outlined by Marx. Four have already been completed.

That said, it probably doesn't matter much to those who come here to have fun but it will affect all of us in the long run. Almost 4 million Venezuelans have flooded nearby Colombia and Ecuador and have made their way to Mexico because of the dictatorship there that has destroyed the country. Imagine the rush that now exists on the U.S. border becoming worse because of severely uneducated political decisions by this Mexican administration. You may not be aware of the fact that Baja California governor Bonilla, has begun an expropriation of the famous Club Campestre Golf Club. Bonilla is a supporter and ally of AMLO.

Again, tune into local and state news to see the effects of this government and the "no confrontation" policies that have now turned the state of Guanajuato into the most dangerous in the world with Celaya the most dangerous city in the world. Cartels are now using drones to fight against adversaries including the new Guardia Nacional and using high caliber weapons to shoot down helicopters.

I would avoid crossing at Laredo under all circumstances. The police have ceded to the cartels there and you will find but four federale patrols on the way south.

Oil and PEMEX have become the presidential goal. A nationalized company that should have filed bankruptcy years ago and is in debt to the tune of 24 billion USD. His new $8 billion USD refinery, Dos Bocas, has destroyed the local economy and the environment around the refinery. The fishing industry there is dying. The world is now turning to EVs and Mexico will stay behind I believe to support Cuba, Venezuela, Bolivia and Peru.

A major vote will take place on June 6th for state and local governments in 26 states.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Well, he has been a disappointment to many and it is hard to know what to believe. When politicians say stuff like that, I just point to India which said the same thing a month back. We all want normal, but we can't let our guard down yet.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
"The Mexican president announced on Monday that Mexico is returning to normalcy" Let's hope he's right.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Me too another winter in Canada would really suck

Talleyho69
Sure hope you are right.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I was told my second shot is in August but could be sooner (moderna). If fully vaccinated I may do the ship across and fly routine if needed, but I suspect the border will open for vaccinated people by summer.