Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Xantrex Freedom 458 - Equalizing at 16.3V

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
Hey gang,

I was surprised to find my advanced search for both the last year and the archives turned up no results, so...

This unit has an equalizing mode that runs at a proper, but hefty 16.3V. And it has the current to back it up. Which is pretty sweet. But...

My question is in regard to the electronics in a 2004 MH.

Can they comfortably withstand this?

Or is it enough to open all the breakers except the Xantrex?

Or should I pretend the mode doesn't exist, disconnect the negative and equalize with a portable only?

Or...?
Cheers,
Kendall
6 REPLIES 6

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
A DC-DC buck converter might be a solution. Or batteries that don't require equalization. ๐Ÿ™‚
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

madjack60
Explorer
Explorer
I had a solar charge controller fail and it started dumping 17 volts to the batteries. The fridge threw error codes and I disconnected the charge controller on the spot and replaced it.

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Maybe somebody over in the Class A forum would know. Must be a common situation.

Maybe... for the few who pay attention to such details.

I'll repost it there. Thanks.
Cheers,
Kendall

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe somebody over in the Class A forum would know. Must be a common situation.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
The fridge limit is 15.4 and light bulbs burn out faster with higher voltage. Usual instructions for E is to isolate the batteries from the rest of the 12v system in the RV. You would need another source of 12v to run the rig if it is being used.

Well not only that, but... if I isolate the bank from the coach... how is the Xantrex going to provide it that equalizing power?
Cheers,
Kendall

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fridge limit is 15.4 and light bulbs burn out faster with higher voltage. Usual instructions for E is to isolate the batteries from the rest of the 12v system in the RV. You would need another source of 12v to run the rig if it is being used.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.