cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best shock for a light weight pop up truck camper

jp404
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 96 Toyota T100 and light weight pop up camper for it. When just the camper is on the truck, it doesn’t sit down at all and rides fine. But when we get in the camper with our dogs, the camper is a little unstable as we move around. Any suggestions?
5 REPLIES 5

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
"walking on solid ground feels weird after a longer camping trip."

That's hilarious. And why sailors walk funny... I was a Marine (Still am technically), but after six months on a Med Cruise I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm another one that drops the front jacks to stabilize. But mine are electric. I can see that being a pain if yours are manual unless you're staying put for a longer period.
Just throwing this out there, others are welcome to schinto on the idea....but what about a pair of jack stands under the tie down arms? Or even some wood blocks and wedges. You wouldn't be putting huge forces on them and it may be enough to take the rocking out.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I always put the jacks down when I was camped in the TC so it was nice and solid.
The best shocks for a heavy load hauling pick-up are probably Bilstein or KYB Monomax. I've had both and I liked the KYB a little better. But, neither is really going to stop the slight movement when you're parked.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
That's just what truck campers do. I doubt any shocks will make a big difference. If you are like myself or my wife, you will get used to it - to the point that walking on solid ground feels weird after a longer camping trip.
As said above already, you can lower the rear jacks to the ground when parked to stabilize the camper.
If you want to play it absolutely safe, disconnect the turnbuckles when you do that. That way, if a tire should go flat while the jacks are on the ground, your truck would not hang from the camper.
Do not forget to retract the jacks and fasten the turnbuckles when you leave.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any TC is going to move a bit when people are walking or moving. With a light weight truck and camper you would notice it a lot more. After a while you might become used to it. The other solution is to lower the jacks every time you camp.