Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Sports chassis and similar units becoming obsolete?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Sports chassis and similar units becoming obsolete?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/09/21 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

I think they'll make a come-back soon.

Biggest detractor is lack of a good 4x4 option. Any true MDT with 4x4 is too high for towing most 5th wheels.

Once somebody offers a series-hydrid powertain, front electric motors will make 4x4 (or really AWD, but in some ways this can perform better) feasible without raising the chassis-height.

Articulated transit buses already offer a similar powertrain. Diesel gens-set is mounted at the back. Rear and center axles are electric-powered.


I don't think 4x4 is really a factor. MDTs are usually towing monster 40ft+ 5th wheels...not many people drag those off road.

If you are thinking to go off roading once unhooked...a diesel dually 1 ton, is a lousy off road option. If you are into off roading, it usually means a toy hauler and the toys are used for off road play.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


2oldman

NM

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/09/21 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own one, and it's Sport Chassis, not Sports.

Air seats, air cab, air hitch, air shocks. And plenty of headroom. And you sit up high. And 22.5" tires roll smooth.

I will admit one annoyance.. I'm constantly battling air leaks. Nothing critical, but I wish someone could fix them for longer than 6 months.

* This post was edited 04/09/21 08:42am by 2oldman *

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/09/21 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought my 11 DRW RAM I noticed about that same time many MD Trucks were for sale. Talked to one guy and he said as soon as it was sold he was buying something similar to my truck. He was having a hard time selling it, he said as many like him were doing the same.

Fact was these guys that wanted to to tow a heavy RV like mine had to go MD. Now for example I tow my 24k Mobile Suites at and under my trucks SAE numbers. If my RV was a triple axle I could tow much heavier.


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/09/21 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

carringb wrote:

I think they'll make a come-back soon.

Biggest detractor is lack of a good 4x4 option. Any true MDT with 4x4 is too high for towing most 5th wheels.

Once somebody offers a series-hydrid powertain, front electric motors will make 4x4 (or really AWD, but in some ways this can perform better) feasible without raising the chassis-height.

Articulated transit buses already offer a similar powertrain. Diesel gens-set is mounted at the back. Rear and center axles are electric-powered.


I don't think 4x4 is really a factor. MDTs are usually towing monster 40ft+ 5th wheels...not many people drag those off road.

If you are thinking to go off roading once unhooked...a diesel dually 1 ton, is a lousy off road option. If you are into off roading, it usually means a toy hauler and the toys are used for off road play.


But any pickup is a far better choice as a daily driver or even a runaround vehicle when camper is parked. Nevermind the fact that the MDTs have stagnated in terms of power for the last however many years and any of the new diesels will destroy a MDT from a power standpoint.
Add in the ability to get well appointed class 4-5 trucks that have similar gearing and adequate rear axle capacity for the big trailers, and more power and more user friendly and less costly, it makes the MDT haulers an even more limited use, one trick pony.

But when I win the lottery, I'll still buy one to drive to the Home Depot....because I can!

Side note, buddy bought an older one, stretched the frame and nose and dropped a warmed up 400 Big Cam Cummins in it. Holeeee ballz!
It's a monster!


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

aarondeere

Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 12/15/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/09/21 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

carringb wrote:

I think they'll make a come-back soon.

Biggest detractor is lack of a good 4x4 option. Any true MDT with 4x4 is too high for towing most 5th wheels.

Once somebody offers a series-hydrid powertain, front electric motors will make 4x4 (or really AWD, but in some ways this can perform better) feasible without raising the chassis-height.

Articulated transit buses already offer a similar powertrain. Diesel gens-set is mounted at the back. Rear and center axles are electric-powered.


I don't think 4x4 is really a factor. MDTs are usually towing monster 40ft+ 5th wheels...not many people drag those off road.

If you are thinking to go off roading once unhooked...a diesel dually 1 ton, is a lousy off road option. If you are into off roading, it usually means a toy hauler and the toys are used for off road play.


It's a factor for me. While at this campground lakewood a fl106 got stuck in sand. Doesn't take much. Wet grass up a hill a little mud in a campsite.


Aaron
2010 Dodge 3500
2012 Voltage 3600 Epic


aarondeere

Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 12/15/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/09/21 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

I own one, and it's Sport Chassis, not Sports.

Air seats, air cab, air hitch, air shocks. And plenty of headroom. And you sit up high. And 22.5" tires roll smooth.

I will admit one annoyance.. I'm constantly battling air leaks. Nothing critical, but I wish someone could fix them for longer than 6 months.


Sorry sport chassis. Get use to air leaks. Winter time is the worst for me with the fittings shrinking. Have 2 fendt tractors that have air brakes and there is always something hissing a little. Mechanic says only worry when the leaks get big. Having all the air suspensions sure does sound like a nice ride though.

* This post was edited 04/09/21 11:50am by aarondeere *

2oldman

NM

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/09/21 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aarondeere wrote:

Have 2 fendt tractors that have air brakes and there is always something hissing a little. Mechanic says only worry when the leaks get big.
I have hydraulic brakes, which to some people is a total surprise. Some don't even believe me.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

Senior Member

Joined: 09/07/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/09/21 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aarondeere wrote:

With this do you think the days of medium duty trucks are somewhat numbered?

Medium Duty/Class 6 and 7, (think F600, F650 and F750) are the back bone of local deliveries. Most have a medium to large "box" mounted on them. Many are made into dump trucks. Very few would have ever been used as RV chassis.

Personally, I am very surprised that these local fleets have not switched over to the Ford chassis with the new 7.3L gasoline engine. Lower initial cost and lower operating costs, admittedly at lower payload.

Some might call the Ford E450 a "medium duty", but it is really at the very bottom of that scale. The F550-F600 woul make a much better RV chassis Class C motorhome chassis, except for the height and no pass through from the drivers area to the living area.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 07/28/2003

View Profile



Posted: 04/09/21 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F-series MDT 7.3 is production constrained right now. Order bank for 2021 is closed. That’s why you don’t see more.


2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST


JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/10/21 04:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aarondeere wrote:

2oldman wrote:

I own one, and it's Sport Chassis, not Sports.

Air seats, air cab, air hitch, air shocks. And plenty of headroom. And you sit up high. And 22.5" tires roll smooth.

I will admit one annoyance.. I'm constantly battling air leaks. Nothing critical, but I wish someone could fix them for longer than 6 months.


Sorry sport chassis. Get use to air leaks. Winter time is the worst for me with the fittings shrinking. Have 2 fendt tractors that have air brakes and there is always something hissing a little. Mechanic says only worry when the leaks get big. Having all the air suspensions sure does sound like a nice ride though.


Running off in the weeds here. Will that mechanic pay your fines? If the leak is big enough to hear, it can get you put OOS. There is a minimum amount of time the vehicle must hold pressure. I but hundreds of thousands of miles on old trucks. Fixed many a leak. Most times I fix one it never leaks again until part wears out.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Sports chassis and similar units becoming obsolete?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.