Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Wow, 6 months wait for a Chevy-Tahoe
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Wow, 6 months wait for a Chevy-Tahoe

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

So besides Tahoe how many other gasoline/diesel vehicles have stopped production for lack of computer chips?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/chip-shortages-force-more-cuts-230839840.html

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/21 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you @GDH-3950BH for that special mention. I'm deeply honored. And to think, I beginning to feel hurt that you've forgotten me.[emoticon]

My next viewpoint is not to you specifically.

But permit me without offense the observations of the rigidity of some of the mindset here (as my physics college teacher dad once said to me, you are not too bright as your other siblings, who then became engineers, lawyer and nurse manager while I ended up being a failed bean-counter of several multinational companies[emoticon].)

@Groover pointed this out somehow as an example of how we viewed the issues -- and certainly needs no help from me.

Yes, it started out of finding an explanation of the long wait to get a GM Tahoe (I have a friend who is GM fanatic and GM is in my watchlist of stocks to buy).

As a business news hound, one analysts said that it's the pent up demand from greater recession and now a glimpse of a booming economy (oh yeah, just raised political hackles again here). Others said GM is caught flatfooted again and other chimed in that it's supply chain issues for parts from pandemic-caused manufacturing shut-downs. And it now emerges as specific or on a more critical, chips.

Then it segued to EVs, specifically, Tesla who have that not much problems with it's chips supply and even thanked them publicly -- as much as the ICE manufacturers and where @Groover put in his insightful analysis. Tesla either have enough foresight and to sign a long term steady supply contracts. Or the chipmakers preferred to hitch their wagons and partner with the known innovators and disrupters -- those who will own the future of the industry than it's dinosaurs.

As to political sideways, yes, what we enjoy doing, are unduly influenced by politics. The government is the biggest holder of public lands and they can giveth and taketh it away from us. Thus we have vested interest to let our voices heard -- regardless on whose sitting out there in the Oval Office.

And please, stop playing the snowflakes and a victim. That's so yesterday. See yourself as a winner and you'll be the winner.

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DougE wrote:

Due to the virus there is a shortage of computer chips. The auto industry runs on the "just in time" delivery concept for parts so have no stock on hand to absorb shortages. I placed a Tacoma on order January 4 and still have no build date.

Not just chips...all sorts of parts. The Ryder shop that my employer uses has had a couple trucks parked for a month, because they can't get the parts they need.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 2 nutty cats...RIP, Maya ">
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

So besides Tahoe how many other gasoline/diesel vehicles have stopped production for lack of computer chips?

As people try to make extended time at home more bearable?

It's interesting to see how folks react differently to Covid.
Personally I have not lost one single day of work nor did I work from home. In fact I changed jobs, actually careers going into another business, at a substantial salary increase.

Easy to do when the gubmint pays folks to not work at a rate that is substantially above what they made before, evenn if they did not work before. Free money, free rent or mortgage payments, etc. Now they don't want to work. Probably why I stood in line at Lowes this morning at the one open checkout for 30 minutes to buy 10 bags of mulch.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/21 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Easy to do when the gubmint pays folks to not work at a rate that is substantially above what they made before, evenn if they did not work before. Free money, free rent or mortgage payments, etc. Now they don't want to work. Probably why I stood in line at Lowes this morning at the one open checkout for 30 minutes to buy 10 bags of mulch.

Ok, now you have to 'splan to us how is that related to the topic.

But if you want to open up another thread, mods permitting, I will explain to you Keyneesian economics and how the country had a booming economy after Hoover's Great Depression.

Or, why thee country became the strongest economy in the world when Ford and other industrialist realized his own ordinary worker needs to be able to afford the cars he is making..

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Ok, now you have to 'splan to us how is that related to the topic.

But if you want to open up another thread, mods permitting, I will explain to you Keyneesian economics and how the country had a booming economy after Hoover's Great Depression.

Or, why thee country became the strongest economy in the world when Ford and other industrialist realized his own ordinary worker needs to be able to afford the cars he is making..

How many cars did Henry sell during Hooves great depression? As far as the booming economy after, thank the Nazis.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/21 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

...As far as the booming economy after, thank the Nazis.

And as they say, it's downhill from here.

Tried to no longer respond to this off topic comment if not for the contagion of historical, economic and fact-free ignorance.

FDR's presidency started in 1933 and economic recovery to boom thereafter..

WW2 ended in Europe Sept. 2, 1945 and good 12 years from start of FDR's presidency -- and considering economic cycles on those days run from 3 to 5 years.

"Nuff said and I'm done.

Back to GM, please, if there's anymore.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

2oldman wrote:

I'm just here to see all the quoting.

[emoticon]

Me too!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's simple, car sales are going through the roof. People like me are working from home, cutting daily travel expenses down to nothing. Govt bonus money isn't hurting either. Combine with limited parts, aka chip shortage, you have a perfect storm affecting OEM sales.

Ford and GM both have reported expected 2B drop in revenue. That's going to hit the bottom line pretty hard.

Link to article

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

As people try to make extended time at home more bearable?

It's interesting to see how folks react differently to Covid.
Personally I have not lost one single day of work nor did I work from home. In fact I changed jobs, actually careers going into another business, at a substantial salary increase.

Guess you haven't been to a Lowes or Home Depot on a weekend when the weathers nice out. Every DIY guy and his family are out shopping. It's common knowledge in my family between me and my older two sons that you don't go to HD or Lowes on the weekend.

It's been like that well before Covid.

During the week it's all the guys with remodel businesses which is booming.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Wow, 6 months wait for a Chevy-Tahoe
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.